Downloading internet explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ngreen

I'm trying to resurrect an old computer. The internet explorer doesn't work, I guess it's out of date. When I go into 'add or remove programs' under windows components I do see Internet Explorer but next to it it says 0.0 MB and if I check it and try to add, it doesn't work. How can I get I.E. on my computer?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm trying to resurrect an old computer.
What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that computer?
What's the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?
What's the exact Windows version that's running in it?
The internet explorer doesn't work, I guess it's out of date.
What's the exact version of Internet Explorer that's currently installed in it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ngreen

What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that computer?
What's the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?
What's the exact Windows version that's running in it?

What's the exact version of Internet Explorer that's currently installed in it?
Windows xp
Windows xp
Internet explorer 7

Windows xp 2005 edition

The computer is an HP
It says on the side:
Prod #:RC656AA#ABA
S/N: MXX6470FXN

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Windows xp
Internet explorer 7
Windows xp 2005 edition
The computer is an HP
It says on the side:
Prod #:RC656AA#ABA
S/N: MXX6470FXN
According to that product number, you have a HP Pavilion Media Center a1624n Desktop PC.
It was introduced in September 2006 and sold in the U.S.A. and in Canada and came with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Service Pack 2(SP2).
Has it been upgraded to Service Pack 3(SP3) - which was released in March/April 2008?

Internet Explorer 8 is the latest version that can be installed and used in Windows XP SP3.
However, that version is no longer supported by most websites.
Mozilla Firefox 52 ESR(extended service release) can be installed and used in Windows XP SP3.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ngreen

According to that product number, you have a HP Pavilion Media Center a1624n Desktop PC.
It was introduced in September 2006 and sold in the U.S.A. and in Canada and came with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Service Pack 2(SP2).
Has it been upgraded to Service Pack 3(SP3) - which was released in March/April 2008?

Internet Explorer 8 is the latest version that can be installed and used in Windows XP SP3.
However, that version is no longer supported by most websites.
Mozilla Firefox 52 ESR(extended service release) can be installed and used in Windows XP SP3.

-------------------------------------------------------------
so how do I get Mozilla firefox 52 ESR onto that computer?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
so how do I get Mozilla firefox 52 ESR onto that computer?
I provided you with a download link for it in the last line of post #6.
Scroll down the list and select the country/language you want, then click the "Download" link in the "Windows" column to download and save it.
After that's done, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to start the install process.

You haven't answered the question in the third line of post #6.
If SP3 hasn't been installed and that computer is still running Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2, most programs won't install or update.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ngreen

I can't get on the internet to download anything on that computer. How do you download the internet when you can't access the internet?
The certificate of authenticity sticker says:
Windows xp media center edition 2005
Product key is: H2H64-9VPJ2-RQWMJ-YJBV7-M2JGB

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Are you saying you don't have a working internet connection with that HP, or are you saying you can't access the Mozilla Firefox ESR download site because you're using Internet Explorer 7?

If you have access to another computer that has a working internet connection, you can download and save the Mozilla Firefox ESR file in it, then copy it to a USB thumb drive, then connect it to that HP, then install it.

Ngreen

so if I download it on another computer and save it to a thumb drive, do I just copy over the Mozilla icon or are there more files that need to be copied over?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You download and save the Mozilla Firefox ESR install file in a computer with a working internet connection.
You then copy that file to a USB thumb drive.
You then insert the USB thumb drive in the HP (hopefully, the HP will properly detect it)
You then copy that file in the HP.
You then double-click that file to start the install process.

If you don't know how to do any of this, you need to ask someone who does to help you.
There's only so much that we can do from here.

You didn't answer the question in post #10, so I don't even know if that HP has a working internet connection.
When you don't reply completely to a post, you make it more difficult and time-consuming to help you.

Ngreen

You download and save the Mozilla Firefox ESR install file in a computer with a working internet connection.
You then copy that file to a USB thumb drive.
You then insert the USB thumb drive in the HP (hopefully, the HP will properly detect it)
You then copy that file in the HP.
You then double-click that file to start the install process.

If you don't know how to do any of this, you need to ask someone who does to help you.
There's only so much that we can do from here.

You didn't answer the question in post #10, so I don't even know if that HP has a working internet connection.
When you don't reply completely to a post, you make it more difficult and time-consuming to help you.

Sorry. It does have a working internet connection but when I tried to open I.E. it said certificate of authenticity expired. So I figured I could just remove I.E. and reinstall it though the add/remove programs but that is where I ran into problems. I couldn't just add I.E.
Since I removed it I didn't think I could get back into the internet.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Internet Explorer is integrated into Windows XP (and newer operating systems) and cannot be uninstalled/removed.
Version 8 is the only one that will install in Windows XP.
Versions 9 and 10 and 11 will not install in Windows XP.

Version 8 is no longer supported by most websites and will prevent many of them from loading.
You have an even older version 7, so that makes it even more likely to prevent websites from loading.

Ngreen

Got it. Is this all just sort of a waste of my time then? I mean, it sounds like I new a whole new everything.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online