1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading Issue with Windows XP: could someone help me?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by olzolz, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olzolz

olzolz Thread Starter

Since I have Windows XP, it seems I can't download files anymore: when I click on a link to download something, a new blank window opens with a logo on the top left (it's a small white square: inside the square, from the top down, there are a red square, a green circle, and a blue triangle) but that's it: as I understand, the logo indicates the download is complete but the file is not to be found anywhere. When I use the PC search option, the results show several files with the same name but these are just .com or .html files, and not the application file (.exe or .zip for example) which is not there.

The only solution I found is to do the following:
    - I click on the file's name, and as the downloading page appears, before the blank page (with the logo I mentioned) opens, I right-click the "Click here if it does not work" link.
    - By doing so, I get the "save as" window, which allows me to save on the C:\ drive. However, it doesn't work so often because most of the links are not application files and cannot be saved that way.

Could someone help me? Thanks so much in advance.

2. TheLord

TheLord

try this: while in Internet Explorer, click Tools > Internet Options. click on Programs tab and click Reset Web Settings ...

3. olzolz

olzolz Thread Starter

I followed your instructions, and I made an attempt: I went on MajorGeeks website and tried to download HJT by clicking on one of the 4 download locations. Then the "Your download of HijackThis will automatically start in a few seconds...Click here if it does not" page appeared, but not the save window. After a few second, the new white blank window opened, with the logo I described in my previous reply, and that's it: it's like the file has been downloaded but I wasn't asked where I wanted to save it and, above all, it seems it has not been downloaded after all since I can't find it on my PC.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice