downloading MP3's

jaye944

:confused:

ok,
we've all done it, doing it or thinking about it.

Now, just to start up some discussion.

A friend of Dad's, rang me with a problem. Short story long...

He has an MP3 player/recorder.

So The question is after paying much $$$'s for it. What do you legallay use it for ??

If you have like me vinal/CD. you can't legally, copy it onto MP3.
If you want to download from the Web, sites such as Napster/Kazaa, are either illegal, or being closed down.

So "where" do you get mp3's LEGALLY, to use ?

I know it's being done. But why sell these things if you can't copy music to use on them.

Kinda like being able to buy a knife, but get done for it being an offensive weopen, if you got one on ya person ??

So ideas and possibly open discussion. UK /US law differs so pls try to keep to UK law if poss.

cheers gangsters !

Jaye

jaye944

jaye944 said:
hi nelson,
I think this is the issue,
I know when I used to use doc.solomons. (and bought it legally!)
I was told I could have it on my home and work pc.
as long as they werent being used at the same time. In other words, I bought a book, which I could read anywhere, but you can't read it in 2 different places at the same time.

I also saw on some licensing, that you "could" make a backup copy of your windows95 disk etc. as long as it was to be used as a backup.

I saw some legal stuff with regards to music, which said, words to the effect, you are "Not" allowed to copy to different media, even for backup.

Kinda like the old "Home taping is killing music and is illegal" stickers you used to get on music.

I am sure the same applies.

OK, no biggie if you are making a backup copy, but you "CANT" legally, hence,
why can you buy an MP3 player and not make a copy.

As far s I am aware (yet!) you can't go into HMV's and buy Madonna on MP3 yet ?

Copying(ripping) your personally owned music collection to MP3 is completely legal. I built a rig for my Uncle specifically for the purpose of him ripping his vinyl to CD/MP3 format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online