1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading music legally

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by grandpaw7, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

No doubt this is the wrong forum, but I don't know which is the right one.

Two counts against me: first, I'm dumb; second: I've never downoaded music before and haven't the slightest etc.

Anyhow, I wonder how I can find out how and from where I can download music legally, and if I need special hardware or software to do it.

I'm interested in old songs like songs by Woody Gutherie, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Johnny Cash. I wonder if there are certain sites that are more likely to have these?

Maybe there is a website that would educate me about this.

Thanks, grandpaw7

THE GARDEN SONG

Inch by inch,
    Row by row,
    Gonna let my garden grow,
    All I need is a rake and hoe,
    And a piece of fertile ground.

Inch by inch, row by row,
    Someone bless these seeds I sow,
    Someone warm them from below
    Till the rains come a'tumbling down.

Pulling weeds, picking stones,
    We are made of dreams and bones,
    Feel the need to grow my own
    For the time is near at hand.

Grain for grain, sun and rain,
    Find my way in nature's chain,
    Tune my body and my brain
    To the music of the land.

Plant your rows straight and long,,
    Temper them with prayers and song,
    Mother Earth will make you strong
    If you give her love and care.

Too bad I can't sing it for you, though my granchildren would tell you differently.

2. mad-martin

mad-martin

very simple to answer, it is NOT allowed to download ANY copyrighted material whatsoever, music, software, you name it
    I have to say that a lot of people take the risk anyway, but legally it's not allowed.

And you'd be glad that I don't sing :D:D:D

3. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

NOT TRUE ! ......Please read his post before you fly off into the sunset .:rolleyes:

4. putasolution

putasolution

I have to agree with 700mb80min, Mad-martin. Simply not true. There are plenty of legitimate music sites from which you can download tracks, such as mp3.com You have to pay, but you can download and it is legitimate

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I believe Apple's version of Itunes for Windows is suppose to be ready by Christmas.

6. RSM123

RSM123

7. play1998

play1998

oh oh oh and to update this i saw on tech tv that kazza is gonna strike back :) hahaha just wanted to let everyone know that music may be free after all :)

8. somak_de

somak_de

well you cant download copyrighted music legally without paying but do you support sharing it through p2p network? is that illegal? i mean almost everybody here used kaaza or winmx to download music.

9. michael_jii

michael_jii

you can use software called pressplay... which it a legal way to download music..... its a joint venture (i think ) between microsoft and the recording industry. and NO its not anotr fake spyware scam

10. mobo

mobo

Ha Ha ...Thats funny

11. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Sure you can! Some of the more intelligent artists realize that downloading free music is another way to reach fans. Some artists allow you to download full CDs from their official websites.

12. mad-martin

mad-martin

ofcourse you can, but it still is illegal, unless, but hey I thought that was pretty obvious, you pay for the copyrighted material.

13. Cookies

Cookies

14. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Can you imagine a music site that doesn't have Joan Baez and Harry Belefone? It's true. You won't believe this, but none I've looked at do! Oh, well, they say what goes around comes around. So, I'll just wait a few more years, the Lord willing. Meanwhile, back to the used CD store.

But thanks for the info. It was what I was looking for.

15. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Once again, there is no truth in that! Just because its copyrighted doesn't mean its not free. TSG is copyrighted and its free. Most of the software we use is copyrighted & free. Just because a song is copyrighted doesn't mean it can't be free.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice