1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading problem.I'm running Win 98 on a Compaq

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JimboNel, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimboNel

JimboNel Thread Starter

I'm running win 98 on a Compaq-Celeron.
    Just recently I find that I can not download files from the net. I cannot locate Download wizard in my systems.
    When I attempt to download, the download box comes and the pages flip but no progress is made.
    Thanks for any help.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Jimbo have you ran an updated virus scan ?
    Also a spyware scan?

Have you cleaned up your system, deleting all your temps etc.?

Savvy :)

3. JimboNel

JimboNel Thread Starter

I have not run an anti virus or the other program. I have run disc cleanup and defrag.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Jimbo, I don't know whether this fix applies to your case, but it has for many others. The problem can have different manifestations.

Delete the plugins extension key as indicated in Bryan's post and let us know the results.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53760

Quicktime is not always involved.

5. JimboNel

JimboNel Thread Starter

Hey Rog.
    I went thru the procedure that Bryan reccomended and you sent. After re-start I had the same result. The download box comes up and the pages flip but there is no "time remaining" or any indication of progress. Do I need to restore the "plug ins" or leave it as is?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you just deleted the "extension" key you don't need to restore anything.

Does it make any difference if you right click and "save target as"? Do you specify a download directory? I don't know what "download wizard" you refer to is, do you have some third party download manager installed?

Also it might be worthwhile to do a disk cleanup and flush your Temporary Internet and Temp folders.

If this problem began in the last 4 days, you could try restoring a previous registry: shut down>Restart in MS-DOS mode... at the c:\windows\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry from one of the 4 visible which predates the problem. You may have one or two.

7. JimboNel

JimboNel Thread Starter

Rog. Thanks for the help. I tried the restore proceedure but the 4 choices were post onset of the problem.
    So I'm still treading water.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

9. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Just noticed the words "Download Wizard", so I thought I'd ask if you're using this third-party app.

http://www.downloadwizard.net/english/index.html

If this is what you were referring to, then maybe you should try to uninstall it, to see if it is what's affecting your downloads.

Hope it helps

:cool:

10. JimboNel

JimboNel Thread Starter

Hey Rog,
    Thanks again for the help. I did the IE repair thing and it went smoothly, but no change.
    Columbo suggestid uninstalling "download wizard" but I cant find it anymore. I don't even know where it came from. I thought I was a part of windows.

11. columbo

columbo

Hey,

Try looking in your program files folder, I believe the full name is "DownloadWizard Plus".
    It might be in a folder with the company's name, (I think they're called Manitu).

Good Luck

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hmm, if you're sure it's really downloadwizard you're seeing and there is nothing in Add/Remove for it, you could try emailing their Tech Support and see if they will send you manual removal instructions. And I almost hesitate to suggest this, but you could also consider installing it if only for the purpose of uninstalling it.

13. JimboNel

JimboNel Thread Starter

Rollin Rog and Columbo.
    The "Download Wizard" thing may or not be accurate, I just remember seeing it come up in the past when I downloaded things.
    I have a cable modem with [email protected] and you know what's going on with them. I may lose my connection at any time.
    You guys are great for helping me to try and solve this mystery. I'll try to stay in touch

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I don't remember whether or not you answered the question about using right click and choosing Save Target AS. Can you download that way?

Would you be willing to install another Browser as a test? Netscape, Opera? Then see if you are able to Download?

15. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice