1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by kragnand, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kragnand

kragnand Thread Starter

My internet connection used to work fine and now has one little problem with downloading. Any time i start a download by running it or saving it. It will start normal but slow down and stop at a random point. This is with any download from videos to files. Please help

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi and Welcome to TSG,
    Where are you downloading from? What type of internet connection do you have - broadband or dial-up?

Richard.

3. kragnand

kragnand Thread Starter

hey thanks for the response. I am running a broadband connection with a wirless hub and neither computer will let me finish a download. either off of the lan line or wirless. It does not matter where or what i download if it is a video off youtube or if i try donwload messenger or flashplayer. My first guess was Mcafee but u dont know how that would effect both computers if its only on one.

4. atlgeo

atlgeo

I am having the same exact problem. Have you found a solution???

5. kragnand

kragnand Thread Starter

Yes i have found a solution but i am not sure if it has anything to do with your problem... First of all do you have any routers wirless or not... if so Each router has a built in Firewall... which for me did nothing becuase you should have a windows firewall plus any virus protection firewall such as macfee so the router firewall was just making the connection time out... check your ping to see if your internet is frequently timing out. SOOOO my solution was to disable the firewall on just the router.. I have a belkin router myself... This option should be in you configuration files for the router... this helped me and if you have no router and still have this problem i suggest try reseting your IP adress..
    GOODLUCK

6. atlgeo

atlgeo

How do I disable the ROUTER fire wall. I also have a Belkin router. Where is it loaded. The only fire wall program I can find is the windows firewall.

7. kragnand

kragnand Thread Starter

My guess is that we had the same problem with the Belkin Router. If you need to contact Belkin support service to get your config settings they can be emailed from their website... OR>>>you need an Address to type into the internet explore address bar that will take you to your config settings,,, if you do not know this ip address contact belkin support for config settings.. ... Goodluck

8. jesusandseth

jesusandseth

Sweet! I just disabled the firewall on my router, and my problem (the same as stated above) is fixed. I registered just so that I could tell you all thanks, adn help anyone else who needs some encouragement. Just call belkin. It was easy.

Thanks again, and praise the Lord!

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Be advised that the Ws' firewall is minimally effective. You should obtain and use a better one. There are some that are free as well as some at a cost. Most will automatically turn off the Ws' firewall when installed. That is so because only one FW should be active at a time.
    {redoak}

10. kragnand

kragnand Thread Starter

the Ws firewall IS minimally effective BUT even so any router firewall is not needed as long as you have some protection such as mcaffe... Router firewalls are suppose to be extra connection but the most part just cuase hastle by TIMING OUT a connection for split seconds to stop any hackers BUT this is what stops any downloads being that a download can not be timed and resumed.

windows firewall will do the job but i advise Mcafee being its free for your first month or so.. many other free firewalls work great...

Kragnand

11. dragosam

dragosam

strange downloading problem

i am experiencing a strange downloading problem which is getting worst

the problem is like this

when i download a file using IE6 (also tried IE7 as well as other browser like OPERA and MOZILLA FIREFOX but problem remains same)
    it stops getting downloaded without completion i.e. after downloading a certain amount of data (at the time of problem start data size at which downloading stops was 27MB then become 20MB and now has reduced to 13MB)
    * I dont know what is reason behind this.
    * Also the problem is not related to particular website.
    * This problem is not faced when i use dw managers or accelerators
    * It comes only when i download through regular speed with browser inbuilt download manager or utility
    * After downloading 13mb of data download stops and gives following error
    CSS - http://images.rapidshare.com/img/styles.css
    Linked-in stylesheet
    Invalid value for property: margin
    Line 43:
    margin: 0x;

this error is given when i used opera
    problem is same also for IE6 ,IE7, MOZILLA FIREFOX
    * I have tried follwing methods to rectify this problem but nothing works

* Tried downloading by using single browser i.e.uninstalling other browsers and then downloding.
    * Tried downloading after increasing disk and memory cache size.
    * Tried downloading after clearing cookies and other temporary internet files
    * Tried downloading after altering windows reserved 20% bandwidth
    by using gpedit.msc command to alter local computer policy Qos packet sizes
    * Reseted outsatanding packet sizes used for transmission from default to 70000.
    * Tried downloading after clearing ram space i.e.by running computer idle to perform only task of downloading.
    * Tried downloading after scanning the whole computer for any viruses, malware or spyware

* All of the above methods dont worked at all for me
    * Somebody on net gave me suggestion that it could be due transient behaviour of network but do not gave me further clarification about how to resolve it.

* Please help my above mentioned limit of dw using regular speed is decreasing day by day.
    * system specifications are:
    processor: pentium 4
    network connection type:DSL cable with 10 Mbps speed
    browsers tried regarding above problem: opera ,IE6,IE7, MOZILLA FIREFOX

i am not using any router at home as our ip address is a shared one it is static

12. kingkhan12

kingkhan12

Hey,
    I'm having the same problem where I begin a download and partway though the computer just slows down to a point where it isn't even downloading anymore.... the weird thing is that my connection remains ridiculously slow for about a day after this happens. Just loading regular webpages can take forever and even stop loading at times. The speed returns to normal after a while though. I'm in a college dorm... so I'm not sure what it might be, since I'm on the university's internet. Any ideas/help?

13. Grunaki

Grunaki

I'm having the same problem since I installed a Belkin F5D7230-4 4-port Wireless g router.

I'm on a dynamic always-on 256k internet connection via a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem.

Downloads and YouTube videos just 'cut off' or 'freeze' part way through the download, which is very annoying. This happens on all computers connected via the router, either wired or wirelessly.

I tried turning off the router's firewall, but it made no difference. The problem remains.

I e-mailed Belkin tech support and they replied with the following:

"To resolve the issue, please follow the steps given below for opening ports.

-Please open the Internet Explorer and in the address bar type in "***Router IP Address***" and Enter.
    -Leave the password blank and click on "submit".
    -Please click on "Virtual server" under the "Firewall".
    -Enter the port number under "Inbound port" & "private port".
    -Enter the IP address of this computer under the "Private IP address".
    -Please check the "Enable" box and click on "Apply changes".

If you need further assistance please feel free to write back to us and we will be happy to assist you."

Personally I think this is crap as

A) I shouldn't have to be opening ports on my router just to download things and

B) The instructions they sent me seem to be for a different model of router than the one I own.. :-Z

I asked the tech guy at work, and he agrees that I shouldn't have to open ports to make it work. He said I should try 'tweaking' my internet settings with the following tool:

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

He said to reduce the MaxMTU setting to see if that would help, but it still seems to make no difference.

I believe that the problem is probably something internal to the router (probably firewall related) that is blocking downloads after a time. however, I can't seem to be able to locate and de-activate the setting.

Update: I took the router to work with me today and hooked it into the Office's LAN connection - it worked fine. I went back to the tech guy, and he figures it's my cable modem that is causing the issue and I should call my ISP and get them to examine it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice