1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading video clips etc to DVD-R From Hard Drive Help

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by oldegoat1942, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldegoat1942

oldegoat1942 Thread Starter

Can anyone help me!
    I have downloaded on to my hard drive 4 lessons. They are music lessons for my grandson to learn to play a guitar. They are in avi format. They contain video and text. I can open the files from my hard drive in Windows Media Player, but I want to copy them to a DVD-R. He would like to take them home with him. As of now the only thing he can do is use the lessons when he visits. Can anyone tell me if this can be done? I also want to download videos clips in mpg or mpeg formats that I have downloaded to my hard drive. Each time it states that I have no recordable CD in the drive. Bottom line I can not figure out how to transfer videos downloaded to DVD-Rs.

Using Sony Vio, Pentium 4, 540 MB Ran and using connection from my main CPU by way of a router with Windows XP Home + SVC Pack 2.

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

3. oldegoat1942

Hello, I checked out the sites you recommended. Most of them pertain to ripping DVD's.
    That dosn't address my problem. You see I downloaded files from a paid membership site. The downloaded in avi format. Now I can not download the clips (music lessons as I said for my grandson) to a DVD. That is what I need help with. Not copy right infriengemnet rights. I paid to download from the site.

Thanks

4. TheDJK

TheDJK

1. Are you simply trying to copy the avi files to the DVD-R, or do you want to convert the clips to make them viewable on a DVD player?

2. How large are the avi files?

What program(s) have you tried so far to transfer the avi files to a DVD-R?

4. I don't believe you mentioned whether you have a DVD burner on your Vaio.

5. oldegoat1942

Hello,

Thanks for the response to my request for help.

I am trying to download guitar lessons as stated above. I have downloaded to my hard drive and place them in a folder. The lessons are in avi format. My grandson wants to take them home with him and play them on his DVD player so he can learn to play a guitar. The files are approx 194MB give or take a few each. I haven’t tried any programs to download them except DVD Copy Platinum Plus by 321 Studios. I am not trying to copy or sell to infringe on copy rights only help my grandson.

Second, I have mpg and mpeg video clips I have down loaded which I would like to
    transfer to a DVD-/+R to save for viewing on my DVD when I desire and I can not
    do that either. If you or other’s can assist I would appreciate it.

Yes I have a CD/DVD Burner.

Thanks
    :)

6. oldegoat1942

Downloading video clips etc to DVD-R From Hard Drive Help. On Jan 17 I posted request for help with a tech question. I have had two replies and neither has solved my problem nor gotten back to me. I don't know if they received my reply or just thought I ignored them. I assure them I didn't, for I still need the original help. If you are still out there or any others can assist please reply. I am still not too familiar with this help system and I may be doing something wrong. I think I am suppose to click on Post a Reply to answer a question asked to me. If there is another procedure someone please assist. Thanks

7. oldegoat1942

Hey TheDJK were are you? You asked me a question to solve my problem then vanished.
    Please check my reply at oldgoat1942.

8. Moby

Moby

When people ask you further questions they are not inviting themselves to stay with you till the end. They may help further, they may not. They may not know how to. The questions asked needed asking though.
    In order to create movies of your files that will play on a standalone DVD player you need to create DVD Video files from your existing files. DVD players play DVD Video. DVD Video is a type of video just as your .avi's and mpegs are. You will need a re-authoring/converting programme or video editing programme to do this, not a copying programme or burning programme on it's own, although Nero's full package for example is able to to do this through it's VISION Express component.
    So what programmes do you have relating to creating movie/video files?

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

10. oldegoat1942

Moby,

Thanks for the prompt response to my question I posted to
    TheDJK. I have provided all the information you stated in
    my original request dtd. 19 Jan. I can not make it any plainer.

Yes I thought when you asked for tech spt and you get a response
    from a member especially a Senior Member they had all intentions
    in assisting you to the end if they can. I have seen other request for help from
    others that have sorta chatted until either the problem was solved or they
    reply with sorry I can not help any more I have done all I can. Good luck with others.

I am still not sure how to maneuver this site. I have seen others who seem
    to be able to handle it quiet well. They send messages to other members
    with as I say chatting information.

I read your profile and it appears you are well advised on tech
    situations being a Distinguished Member.

As you can see in my profile all the CPU information is listed for
    my system.

I don’t want to appear like a smart A—in this reply, for I appreciate this site
    and it is nice to find someone to help with out trying to always sell you something.

Thanks again for the reply. Have a nice day.

11. oldegoat1942

Hello MysticEyes,

Thanks for the response to my request for help. I will check out your information.

12. linskyjack

linskyjack

Files with the avi wrapper are usually very large and have to be compressed in order to get them onto a DVD----the comrpession of Mpeg2. This requires a program that supports mpeg (that has a mpeg decoder built in) Also, you want to edit the files before converting them to mpeg2. My recommendation is to buy something like Vegas Movie Studio with DVD. THis allows you to capture the video, edit it , and then burn your DVD---it costs 89.95 retail but I am sure you can find it for cheaper.

13. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

These days, especially when the term downloaded is involved, we are dealing with relatively small (compared to the original source) AVIs... Xvid and Divx .

14. oldegoat1942

Hello linskyjack

Thanks for the reply. I will check into this. I really don't want to pay that much for these files if I can help it. I thought I might get some help from this site. I thought it might be just something I didn't know how to do, but I guess I was wrong. I think I might have to just buy him a guitar lesson course.

Thanks again

P.S. If at first you don't succeced, try try agian.

15. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Did you try any of my suggestions?

This one is open source and FREE.

http://dvdflick.sourceforge.net/index.php

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice