1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PJ Staley, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PJ Staley

PJ Staley Thread Starter

My I.E. will only allow me to download 2 files at a time. Is there a "work-around" for this? Thank you.

2. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

I dont believe you can. Downloading more than 2 will make the downloads go terribly slow, even on broadband. If you really want to download multiple things than try and download manager. I reccommend GetRight, get it at http://www.getright.com/.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

IE doesn't have a download limit of 2. Something else must be preventing you from downloading more than 2 files.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Try:

Start Regedit
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
    Change the MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server to whatever number you want
    Change the MaxConnectionsPerServer to whatever number you want

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What operating system does that setting apply to, Bob? I don't have it on Windows XP.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You might try creating them and see if that helps solve the problem.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Those are DWORD values by the way.

8. PJ Staley

PJ Staley Thread Starter

I recently had to reformat my hard drive. Prior to that, I was able to download 4 files at a time. Since the reformat, the downloading has decreased to 2, and I would like to to go back to 4 or more. Now, I know that more than 2 is a possibility, it's just a matter of discovering what changed.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What happened after you made the suggested registry changes. Did that help at all?

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    So what happens when you try to download more than two? Do you get a message? Is it a specific site that you're downloading from ? Internet Explorer isn't limiting you to 2 .....

Who do you use as an internet service provider and is it dialup, DSL or cable?

11. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Are you downloading from the same site as before when you could get 4 at a time? Some sites restrict you to two downloads at once. Thats their way of getting you to join. ( spend a few bucks)

12. PJ Staley

PJ Staley Thread Starter

What happens when I try to download more than 2 is that I have to wait until the download is finished before I can start another one. This was not the case prior to the reformat of my hard drive recently.

13. PJ Staley

PJ Staley Thread Starter

Wimpy, the sites vary. PJ

14. PJ Staley

PJ Staley Thread Starter

Bryan, it's Velocitus DSL. The same service I used prior to reformatting my hard drive and having this problem. PJ

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    yeah that's true. I know that IE has a limit on how many downloads it will if it takes too long though. Bob had a way, did you follow that?

Also I would also recommend a file downloader like GetRight. The reason being is that if you are downloading a big file and your computer loses connection or something happened to your downloading file, GetRight will resume the download. IE will have to start from the beginning. Plus you can do as many as you tell it to.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice