1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloads always slow down...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sharker, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hi,

I have recently got connected to the net using a 56k modem. And I have noticed that when I start to download a file, the download speed quickly trails off. It seems to be about 20 to 40 KB/s to begin with, but after ten seconds it's around 7KB/s then after 30 seconds or so 4KB/s. (Is this bits / second or Bytes / second?) A modem connection is slow enough already. Is there a way of keeping the original high speed?

I have win XP prof and am using internet explorer.

Sharker

P.S. When the download window pops up it shows the download speed. How do I view the download speed for general internet surfing?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

On a 56kb connection, the theoretical maximum download speed is about 56/8 = 7 kB/s

You need to remember that the speed is 56 kilobits per second, and that there are 8 bits in a Byte. Download speeds are reported in kiloBytes, not kbits. Look at the upper or lower case b or B, they are different by a factor of 8 or so (some overhead for error correction reduces the maximum speed, compression increases it a little)

When you start a download, the computer has to download some data before it can report the speed. Then it counts that data it has already downloaded when calculating the speed, giving a false initial count.

Ignore it, if you get 4 kB/s its all you can expect in reality on dial up.

3. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Ok thanks,

For some reason I missed your reply before.

Just one thing though. I found that when one download was stable at about 4KB/s and I started another, I got the first going at 3.5KB/s and the other about 2KB/s so over all this is comming faster. And I could still view other web pages without these figures changing much. It this all a mislieding effect to make it seem like it's going faster like you said before?

I just wondered if I could put the download at a higher priority and get it to use all the bandwidth available just for that.

Thanks

Sharker.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice