1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloads Corrupt - RAM / Motherboard Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smoothie, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smoothie

Smoothie Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I'm posting because I have an annoying problem with a T9100. For some reason, large downloads (say, 100MB or above) are always corrupt. As an example, I tried to download UBCD4Win several times from several mirrors... to no avail. The MD5 hash does not match that of the original file. This is true of all other downloads I can think of - RAR files are corrupt with a CRC error, for instance.

Anyway, I eliminated software problems as being the cause - different browsers, OS, wired/wireless connection to t'internet, etc.

Googling 'corrupt downloads' led me to several sites suggesting bad RAM could be a cause. Sure enough, running Memtest came back with something like 25 errors. However, I've tried another RAM stick, and the problem persists.

Most bizarrely, it seems I'm not alone in experiencing this problem: see this thread, particularly the final post.

Any comments, solutions or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Rob

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If you change all the memory and get the same corrupt file result, I would then test the new RAM. If it also shows to be corrupt, I would then test that same RAM in another system.

If the RAM tests good in another system, you may have a bad board.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Bad motherboard capitors will cause RAM to test bad.

4. Smoothie

Smoothie Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I tried a RAM stick verified as working in another system, and that too got errors.

I also tried one of the RAM sticks from the problematic computer in another, and no errors were reported.

Sounds like a motherboard problem.

Thanks again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677058