1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloads file

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lyn Patterson, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if I can delete files that I have installed from the 'downloads file', after I have installed them? I have a file for these downloads which is getting bigger and bigger. I suppose I could keep those that may need to be reinstalled for whatever reason, in the future.

Thanks.

Lyn

2. edals

edals

When you say "downloads file" do you mean that file that you d/l programs to, and then install from there? If so, yes you can delete them. If not, pleas clarify. If they are the original d/l'd program files, I like to keep them just in case. I do a lot of tweaking and playing around and sometimes can't undo what I did to a program; sometimes a newer version will come out, but then cause problems. By keeping those original files, I can always reinstall that exact version if need be.

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

If its simply the installer you can... but I'd put the installers on a well labeled floppy if I was you.

If its a TEMP file....sure ... delete them.

Savvy :)

4. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson Thread Starter

edals and SavvyLady -

This file is the file that the downloads arrive in from the Internet.

From there, I install them.

The thing is, there are lots of files there that I have since uninstalled so don't think it would hurt to get rid of them.

I will probably leave anything I may need to re-install at some stage.

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

If you delete the files you will have to download them again if you want to reinstall the programs. Also, you're downloading files into a FOLDER, not a file.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice