downloads going to all users.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CORK434445

Hi there,
My problem is that when i download an executabe it goes to all users.
Can I limit this to my own profile
I am using firefox on windows xp.
Thanks for any help:)

valis

what do you mean it's going to all users?

In FF, you can specify a folder for it to be downloaded to. Just create a folder in your profile, call it 'downloads' or some such, and instruct FF to put all the downloads in there.

CORK434445

Hi Valis,
Thks for reply.
Yes I have downloads go to desktop.
When I oppen them and install them they appear in other users program lists and they have access to them
They all have Administration profiles as i want them to download their own programs.
I just want to know if i can limit all my own downloads to my own profile.

thks again

valis

Ahh, you didn't say that earlier.....your downloads will show only under your profile, but the app will (most of the time) make itself available to all users. There are a few apps out there that will offer the ability to limit which users have access to it, but the vast majority do not.

CORK434445

Thks Valis,
that means that all my apps are available to all users.
and i cannot stop them using them are kowing what i am doing??

Would there be something in windows xp to change this?

kevin

valis

unless the app itself is offering the ability to only install for certain users, I do not believe so, no.

valis

what app are you trying to hide from the others?

CORK434445

Nothing in particular. I am not doing explosive sex are anything like that.
But have received comlaints fro other users about crowding their program files and desktops.
and i am obsessive about my privacy,
There are tools i use to vatios thing and do not want them to have access are knowledge of them.

Surely windows having set up multiple users should have a Question(or in firefox when downloading) that would not interfere with windows automatic updates?
"Do you want to install downloads to all users "
thanks again.
kevin

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
If they don't like them showing up in their start menu then remove them from the All Users Start Menu Programs folder.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

And make sure they are just in your Start Menu
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs

That does not keep them from browsing the file system and accessing the executables for these programs directly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online