Downloads slowed down, internet isn't.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JoeBoris

Heres my problem. Lately, whenever I download stuff, I always get a really crappy transfer rate. Like, 10 and under KBS. I used to get over a hundred, I've got a low/med DSL connection.

At first, I thought it was an ISP thing, but my internet is just fine. Just as fast as ever. I still stream movies and music just fine, and I load pages as fast as ever. My XBOX Live connection is great, just not my downloads. Im thinking maybe this is a firewal or settings thing?

Any advice?

What "downloads" specifically are you referring to, and are you using something other than Internet Explorer to download?

It's very unlikely to find someone to help you if you are using a P2P network like Limewire or BearShare

Hence my question, to which the answer (if by P2P) would be that the ISP is port shaping to purposely slow down P2P, so that the (usually 99% illegal) P2P traffic does not impede the legal traffic....

JoeBoris

I'm not using anything illegal, I'm talking about just downloading things from my browser (I'm using Firefox).

its very rare for this to happen but the folder you are downloading to may be too large for it to save quickly

JoeBoris

No, it's like that for little things too (little 300kb game patches or what not) as well as big things. I gained some ground after doing a big disk defrag, but I'm still under 40kbs. What can I do to booste my download speed?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online