1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloads slowed down, internet isn't.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by JoeBoris, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeBoris

JoeBoris Thread Starter

Heres my problem. Lately, whenever I download stuff, I always get a really crappy transfer rate. Like, 10 and under KBS. I used to get over a hundred, I've got a low/med DSL connection.

At first, I thought it was an ISP thing, but my internet is just fine. Just as fast as ever. I still stream movies and music just fine, and I load pages as fast as ever. My XBOX Live connection is great, just not my downloads. Im thinking maybe this is a firewal or settings thing?

Any advice?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What "downloads" specifically are you referring to, and are you using something other than Internet Explorer to download?

3. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

It's very unlikely to find someone to help you if you are using a P2P network like Limewire or BearShare

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Hence my question, to which the answer (if by P2P) would be that the ISP is port shaping to purposely slow down P2P, so that the (usually 99% illegal) P2P traffic does not impede the legal traffic....

5. JoeBoris

JoeBoris Thread Starter

I'm not using anything illegal, I'm talking about just downloading things from my browser (I'm using Firefox).

6. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

its very rare for this to happen but the folder you are downloading to may be too large for it to save quickly

7. JoeBoris

JoeBoris Thread Starter

No, it's like that for little things too (little 300kb game patches or what not) as well as big things. I gained some ground after doing a big disk defrag, but I'm still under 40kbs. What can I do to booste my download speed?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice