1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloads stop seemingly at random...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spinner15, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spinner15

spinner15 Thread Starter

Hi TSG Forums,

Ever since I moved into a new apartment and began using their wireless internet, any video site (such as youtube.com)will upload all the way, it will stop at around 1:30 and I have to click in front of it to make it continue. But when i tried to download a game online, the download goes until it hits a certain point and it just stops even though it shows the download rate. I try to refresh the downloader, even restart the download, but it just gets to that point and stops again. This is very frustrating! Can anyone help me?

Using Windows 7, Avast! Antivirus, Windows firewall (problem persists even if this is disabled), no other notable changes to networking software.

2. gamergomer

gamergomer

There's a decent chance the problem is on their end. And I don't know how much they'll want to fix the problem for you, or how much they'll know how to fix the issue.

For a solution without fixing the problem--at least the downloading issue. Try a free download manager like, well, free download manager:
    www.freedownloadmanager.org

If you want to make sure the issue is on their end, go to a library or coffee shop or a friends with wireless internet you can use (of course much easier if you have a laptop). If the issue doesn't continue, it's your apartment wireless.

3. Phalcon352

Phalcon352

I agree with Gamergomer, I think your appartment wifi might have some sort of throttling setup. Because you share this connection with many neighbors you might have some sort of limits imposed. Kind of like a "Fair access policy" . Ask anyone who uses Hughesnet Satillite for internet access, or google "hughesnet FAP" and you'll see what I mean.

4. gamergomer

gamergomer

And it doesn't even have to be throttling. Most of the time in these situations, someone just threw a consumer router and connected it to the cheapest internet they could find. Then something has killed/is killing/is overloading the router or something's just eating up the bandwidth.

The most recent situation I've run into of this was a router that was not given room to breath and heat just killed it over time. It still kinda worked, and actually still did most web pages correctly, but anytime anyone tried to download, it locked the router up for 10 seconds within the first minute. When I logged into the router's administration, some of the pages were messed up. I went to update the router's firmware in case it just got corrupted, but that bricked it. A replacement router made all the difference.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice