1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downthemall slows down my computer when it starts.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by axeman61, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I'm on Firefox 19.0, and my trusted download manager is Downthemall. Over the past couple of months, it's been having a weird problem. When a download first starts, my computer slows down a LOT. I can barely move the mouse. However, after a minute or so (depends on file size), things are back to normal, and the download is progressing. To try and fix this, I disabled every other extension to later see which one had a conflict with it. However, DTA still has this problem with every other plug-in disabled.

I've tried googling this, but aside from drowning in non-related results, I ended up in threads that were years old, and offered no help that applies to me. I was hoping one of you guys had this problem before and can tell me the origin.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3062 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 35055 MB, Free - 7465 MB; D: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 86071 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0M3918, , ..CN708214B5049M.
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. monketrip

monketrip

1. Looks like you got a bot. try updating your AV, and do a thorough scan and check the result.
    2. Check your AV settings for in coming file screening settings

3. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

There's something I forgot to mention: I typically download stuff onto my second hard drive (D). My primary is a Sata, and the second is IDE, if that matters.
    I'm mentioning this now because I got an idea: I tried saving to my primary drive. DTA did have a low download speed for about 10-20 seconds to start before picking up, but my computer never slowed down at all. At least, I didn't notice it if it did.
    Could this mean I have to get another secondary drive? Or simply scan that one too (I'm only scanning C right now)? My secondary drive contains all my media/documents, but sometimes, there's random temporary slow down when I'm loading up a big video file from there. It's standing tall, but with this new test, I'm thinking it may be dying.

UPDATE: My antivirus (Avira) scanned both my drives and came away with no threats after about 4 hours. Should I have used Spybout Search and Destroy. Avira updates all the time, so I'm sure I was running the scan with the latest definitions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice