1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dpc latency consistently high

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vargis, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vargis

vargis Thread Starter

I bought a new pc 2 months ago. The specs are in my profile info, but I'll copy them here too:

Intel S1156 Core i7 860 2.8GHz Quad Core CPU
    Gigabyte S1156 GA-H57M-USB3 Mobo
    DDR3 4GB G.Skill 1600MHz PC12800 Trident RAM
    Internal All-in-1 Mem Card Reader
    1TB Seagate 7200rpm 32M Serial ATA HDD
    Asus GTS250 1GB PCIe Video Card
    Antec 200 Case
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power 650W Power Supply
    Logitech S520 Cordless Kbd & Mouse
    LG 22x DVD Burner SATA OEM
    Integrated Sound Card
    TP-Link WN821N Wireless-N USB Adapter
    FDD/Card Reader Mount 3.5inch To 5.25inch
    MS Win 7 Pro 64bit OEM
    MS Win xp home 32 bit

I got windows 7 64bit pro oem with the machine, then I added windows xp home retail version for dual booting. The reason I added xp was because I use a digidesign mbox sound interface for audio production. This interface is not supported on windows 7 (won't install).

I set up the dual booting, installed my mbox on xp, and found that I was getting occasional drop outs with static. So, I downloaded dpc latency checker and found that the latency consistently sits just below the 2000 microsecond mark, with the occasional peak above it (screenshot attached). However, when I boot windows 7, the latency is consistently much lower.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling devices in device manager. I tried all the devices that didn't look system-critical. No change. After trying them one at a time, I also tried some combinations. This also produced no change.

I was not familiar with dpc latency before this issue. The articles that I have recently read suggest that most problems produce a graph on dpc latency checker that shows most of the latency levels low, but then occasional spikes that are much greater. The second image on http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml shows such an image. Does the comparative consistency of my output suggest that my problem is caused by something more pervasive than a single device?

Attached Files:

2. vargis

vargis Thread Starter

I have also been running rattv3 / cswa. Output attached.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice