dR. frankencomp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

psyco_tweek

i recently aquired some computer parts from a 2nd hand store and decided to build a computer:

amd k6 2-333 prosesser
sound blaster sound card (an old one)
nvidia riva tnt2 vid card
3 16 meg ram chips (sticker says 16m dimm 83mhz 2mx64 3.3v 168p)
dont know mother board
sparkle 235 watt power sup
mitsuma cd dont know speed
dont know floppy
4gig western digital hard drive

most all is old i know but i was just having fun with it untill i came across a problem. it boots through the ram test and ide tests, but it freezes when it says "verifying DMI pool data" first i have no idea what that fraze means second i have no idea what is wrong. can someone help me?

psyco_tweek

cmos still keeps time so i dont think it is that unless cmos can keep time without a batt.?

psyco_tweek said:
i recently aquired some computer parts from a 2nd hand store and decided to build a computer:

amd k6 2-333 prosesser
sound blaster sound card (an old one)
nvidia riva tnt2 vid card
3 16 meg ram chips (sticker says 16m dimm 83mhz 2mx64 3.3v 168p)
dont know mother board
sparkle 235 watt power sup
mitsuma cd dont know speed
dont know floppy
4gig western digital hard drive

most all is old i know but i was just having fun with it untill i came across a problem. it boots through the ram test and ide tests, but it freezes when it says "verifying DMI pool data" first i have no idea what that fraze means second i have no idea what is wrong. can someone help me?
some reasons
1 Corrupt boot files on the computer.
2 Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
3 Floppy diskette or CD in computer causing issue.
4 Boot devices not set properly.
5 BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
6 Connections loose or disconnected.
7 Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.
that clears it right up ;)
I would do a minimal build psu/mobo/cpu/hsf/1 stick of ram/gfx
see if you can get it to post, if yes, reset bios to default, and start adding drive on at a time, until you find the culprit. Sounds like something to do with the hdd, did you wipe the hdd with mfr utility? I would do that so your working with clean drive (write zeros to hdd) you will need a working 1.44 fdd for that. oh and while your at it run hdd utility to determine condition of hdd

psyco_tweek

well i have no os and like i said it wont get past the dmi pool data thing, i tryed the min build and it just said floppy failed and stopped there. if i install win 98 on the hard drive with an other conp will that work? i did restore cmos default, i dont know how to restore bios default though.

psyco_tweek said:
well i have no os and like i said it wont get past the dmi pool data thing, i tryed the min build and it just said floppy failed and stopped there. if i install win 98 on the hard drive with an other conp will that work? i did restore cmos default, i dont know how to restore bios default though.
bios defaults are the same as cmos. floppy failed because it wasnt connected when the bios looked for it, that is normal. In the bios the drive order is probably A:, CD-ROM, hdd, now you say you have no os?, well you will have to install your os on your hdd, right?

did you d/l your hdd utility and put on floppies?, do that and it will tell you if you hdd is dead, if its not dead it can prepare your drive for your os to be installed.

psyco_tweek

ok i fiddled with it for a bit and got it past the dmi thing though now it says
"remove disk or other media.
press enter to restart."
i dont have any disks in at all (eg floppy or cd) plus i have no way of getting my os installed because i cant get past this stuff, and as i said i just threw this thing together.

ill be on all nite if someone can help and has yahoo inst. mes. my screen name is psyco_tweek just i.m. me (itll be faster) if im not on then just post.

well u're going to need some discs (floppy or a cd) with your OS on, so when it gets to this stage, u can hopefully boot off the floppy or the cd and start an install.

psyco_tweek

i have some but they wont work when i put them in. if i install win 98 on the hdd using a different comp then put it in will it work?

u need an auto boot cd or floppy really so u can get straight into an OS install. If u install the OS on another machine u can end up with all sorts of problems, as drivers will be installed for that machine, not the machine u want it on.

psyco_tweek said:
i have some but they wont work when i put them in. if i install win 98 on the hdd using a different comp then put it in will it work?
no. 1 they have to be bootable, ie windows 98 startup disk, one can be downloaded or you can make one from a pc with win98 on it. 2 you have to have a full version of win98 cd. 3 you have to go into bios and set your boot order to A 1st, CD-rom 2nd, HDD 3rd, once your hdd is formatted you reboot with win98 startup 1.44 floppy in pc, with boot set to A: first it will bring you up to the win98 install stuff, this disk will install drivers for your CD-ROM to work, when its done, remove this 1.44 floppy and reboot with win98 CD, pc will look at A drive, skip it, and boot upto Win98 CD then just follow directions from there.

psyco_tweek

brite750 said:
no. 1 they have to be bootable, ie windows 98 startup disk, one can be downloaded or you can make one from a pc with win98 on it. 2 you have to have a full version of win98 cd. 3 you have to go into bios and set your boot order to A 1st, CD-rom 2nd, HDD 3rd, once your hdd is formatted you reboot with win98 startup 1.44 floppy in pc, with boot set to A: first it will bring you up to the win98 install stuff, this disk will install drivers for your CD-ROM to work, when its done, remove this 1.44 floppy and reboot with win98 CD, pc will look at A drive, skip it, and boot upto Win98 CD then just follow directions from there.
hahahahaha thank you verry much num 3 was the problem i am very apriciative. i did have a few problems after getting os running but i fixed them quick. once again i thank you kind sir.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts