1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drag & Drop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ColleenA, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ColleenA

ColleenA Thread Starter

Hi Guys:

Not sure what I would do without this site!!!!

Not sure if this is a silly question but here goes.

Windows ME

My computer has recently been in the shop because it kept freezing and wouldn't restart. But that really isn't my problem.....I can seen to be able to drag files into trash or other files etc. I have to cut and paste them into trash etc. Not sure if this is a setting or if the repair shop changed something or if I really have a problem...Any ideas?

Thanks
    Colleen

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

I can't say for sure, it could be a couple of things. The shop indeed could have erred and made a change. If you right click on the recycle bin icon, what are the properties settings? If you cut and paste, can you empty the bin normally?

I assume you mean drag a file to a "folder" but you can't do that anymore right?

Did they fix the freezing and restart problem?

Did the recycle bin problem and folder problem start before you took it to the shop even though you had the freeze problem?

Did you install any app or make any major changes before all this started?

You could have a virus or trojan.

3. ColleenA

ColleenA Thread Starter

Thanks for answering

when I right click on the trash can, I get properties for the Norton Protected recycle bin. Not sure what you want me to look for here.
    Yes I can cut and paste to empty it that works fine and the trash deletes ok.

Yes I mean drag a folder. Usually I can click and hold a folder or file and drag it to another folder or to the trash. Now I have to cut it and paste it where I want it to go

Yes, they fixed the freezing and restarting. There was a short somewhere inside.

No, the drag problem is new, I always could drag them before.

I did have to reinstall all my programs when it came back from the shop. They reinstalled my operating system.

I have norton and it isn't detecting and virus or trojans, the virus definitions are all up to date.

It's not really a big problem its just easier and quicker to drag everything

Thanks, I'll keep trying

Colleen

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

"properties for the Norton Protected recycle bin" What settings do you have for the Norton protection.

I'm not a ME knowledgeable person but it sounds like a setting that began with the reinstall of the OS, ME. Maybe we can coax a ME user to read this thread. I'll ask an Administrator to move it to that section. I don't think it's hardware related at all.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Moving to 98/ME forums ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice