1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dragon & AMD XP, a real beast!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whoam, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whoam

whoam Thread Starter

Okay, last night I put together the following system.

Soyo SY-K7VDragon+ KT266A Mobo
    Athlon XP 1500+
    128MB RAM - Samsung (used)
    256MB RAM - Crucial (new)
    IBM Deskstar 60GXP: 40GB ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Digital 5.1
    eVGA e-GeForce2 Ti 64MB DDR 5ns Video Card w/TV Out
    Intel Ultra 100 NIC
    300 Watt Antec power supply/case
    NEC ZIP 100
    Thermaltake A1135 Dragon ORB 3 Copper Base CPU Cooler

I have the RAID BIOS pinned to off, but turned on in the BIOS/CMOS so I can use one slot for the zip over standard IDE. The computer is fine with the zip recognition.

My problem is random system freezes with occasional blue screens after more than ~30 of operation. I started off with XP Pro, but had problems before I finished with all the patches. I’m also confused as I’ve heard that XP doesn’t need the VIA 4-1 patch, so I don’t know what parts of mobo patches to use.

I then tried W2K, and downloaded ALL the updates. It took 3 tried to get SP2 in place as it froze during down load, yet it loaded over 3GB to HD over LAN with no problem. It will not install the W2K Intel NIC patch.

Freezes & big blue screens with both O/S’s

There is one BIOS update avail but it doesn't list these symptoms in the "fixed" column. I'm a little leery of BIOS flashing. I bought "rounded" ATA100 cables, and I'm beginning to wonder about the one to the HD. I need to check under the Mobo to see if any standoffs are extra/grounding.

I think I’m going to go back, check the stand offs, switch the IDE cables between the HD and CDROM’s, then load XP with all the patches. So, does XP need any patch from the mobo CDROM????

Thanks for your help guys!!!
    :D

2. whoam

whoam Thread Starter

Ooops, RAM is PC2100.:eek:

3. Rockn

Rockn

You should have some temp monitoring software that came with the MB...I would suspect heat if ti is a time issue and happening after a certain amount of time. Either that or a power problem.

4. whoam

whoam Thread Starter

I should have mentioned that the system seems stable long term if it's just running the idle thread. I also checked the temp on reboot, 32C. How would I isolate a power problem?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice