1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

drawing lines in ms word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by needapc, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. needapc

needapc Banned Thread Starter

I'm taking notes for class and Word doesn't make it easy to draw lines and diagrams when you need them. When I draw a line in Word, let say connecting one text to another, the positioning of the line moves the text or it occludes the text. This is annoying and I was wondering if there is an elegant solution for it. I just need to draw a line (with arrow) from one piece of text to another, but drawing of the line shouldn't move or hide parts of the texts themselves. It's something you could easily do for MS-Paint but it's a great inconvenience if I have to switch between Paint and Word while taking notes in class.

If there isn't a workaround in Word, are there any open source software (for Macs) that let's you do this.

(Actually, I'm drawing two lines from one word, each line connects to a different word; sort of like a tree diagram, but it's proving impossible to do. No matter how I manipulate the lines it always pushes a word to different line or changes the indentation.)

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I can't duplicate your problem, but try this: After drawing a line, right click on it and select Format Object. Click on the Layout tab and select either Behind text or In front of text.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

I remember seeing that issue way back in the earlier days of Word. The problem was that when you placed a graphic, even just a simple line with or without an arrow-head, is still a graphic, required that the frame the graphic was in to be anchored. The anchor and its frame was invisible (unless you turned on the invisibles). If you added/removed words that repositioned the anchor and the frame that went with it.

To get around the problem you had to get into the properties of the invisible graphic frame and tell it that the frame floated, in no relation to where the anchor was. (You could even have the anchor on one page and the frame on the next.)

Using Word 2007 I see that when you add graphics or shapes (and lines are such) the float-ability is automatically set and I can't even find the invisible frame anymore, if it even exists.

However Word 2007 does these shapes, the problem you describe does not appear to happen like that anymore.

Suggestion: upgrade to Word 2007?

4. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

No wonder I couldn't duplicate the problem. I have Word 2007.

5. needapc

Hey, sorry for the late reply but I already have Windows 2007.

This is my version:
    Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac
    Version 12.2.8 (101117)
    Latest Installed Update: 12.2.8

Anyway, how do you modify the frame and anchor properties??

6. needapc

Okay, I found that bring to front or bring to back doesn't work. But there is an option that says "bring to back of text" (and same for front) that seems to fix this problem.

7. needapc

Now, my question is---how do you set it so whenever you draw a time (with or without arrows) it is configured to "behind text" by default???

8. ChuckE

ChuckE

You said you have 2007 (which is for a PC) and then you said your version is 2008 (which would be for a Mac), so which are you talking about? They may be different.

9. needapc

Sorry, that should say I have Word 2007, not Windows 2007.

Anyway, the software I bought was Word 2007 but it's upgraded to 2008.
    For a Mac.

10. ChuckE

ChuckE

I understood what you meant, besides there is no Windows 2007. I understood you meant Word in both cases. But 2007 (Word or any other Office program) is for a PC, and 2008 (Word or any other Office program) is for a Mac.

How does anybody go about "upgrading" from one platform to the other? I have never seen any offer allow anyone to change platforms.

I don't have Office installed on my Mac. I have it here, but just never bother installing it. It is going to be awhile before I can get around to that. So, either I will get back to you, or perhaps someone else can respond before I can.

But, most cases, and I think this may be the answer anyway, ...
    when and where you see the options for the property of setting for the positioning of the frame, see if there is a control to make your selections the defaults.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!