1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dreaded "Unmountable Boot Volume"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sealevelram, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sealevelram

Sealevelram Thread Starter

First post on forum.
    Have the UBV blue screen after power company zapped me.
    Read all the previous posts, but still need help. Running XP Media Center Edition on Dell E520.
    I have a "Reinstallation DVD" but the computer does not seem to recognize the disk on any setting I have used so far to start.
    Can someone please help me using words of one syllable?
    Thanks to all for help.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Have you tried pressing F8 on reboot? See if you can get to the boot options with Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration. If you can get there, maybe your last good configuration will get you in...

If not, reboot and try Safe Mode...

3. Sealevelram

Both options bring me to a blue screen that says "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down ..........."

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

So you got to the Advanced Boot Menu dialog with Last Known Configuration? If so, sounds like you were able to select Last Known Configuration and try it at least. All that would be a start.

Because you could get to the Advanced Boot Menu, I believe there might be some options that someone more tech saavy than I could help you with, even without your DVD. With it we could go into a repair installation, but obviously that's kind of unimportant at this point...

Anyone have any ideas for what can be done between boot up up to and including the Advanced Boot Menu without a DVD drive?

I do fear for your hard drive, since, as you said, it has been zapped...Yikes...this is tough. Maybe someone will come along with confirmation, but you may have to see a tech to get your files if you don't have backup...

5. Sealevelram

When I said "zapped", here is what happened:
    My power company changed out my meter to the electronic kind with remote reading. Anyway when I restarted my computer, that is when my problem first began.

One good thing is I DO have backup with Carbonite (I hope).

6. Sealevelram

Glory, Glory.
    I disconnected and reconnected all my cables, and now the machine booted from my DVD.
    Now running chkdsk /r. Up to 25%.
    Keep fingers crossed.
    Thanks for the input.

7. AtlBo

AtlBo

Very DIY...!

:)(y):D

Think that's all you needed ultimately...

8. Sealevelram

You could be right. Hope so. Thanks.

9. AtlBo

AtlBo

Yes...me too...

Nothing like a DIY fix...

:D

But staying ready for anything based on my experiences with PCs

:eek:

10. Sealevelram

Well, in the cold light of dawn, reality has set in.
    When I reboot, I still get a blue screen with an error message.
    Now running chkdsk /r again.
    Any other suggestions?

11. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...Is your disk a manufacturer's restore disk or a Windows installation disk? Hope you don't have to, but if you need to run a repair of your installation, which type of disk you have could affect whether your files can be saved when the installation is run...

12. Sealevelram

It says "Reinstallation DVD". "Operating System Already Installed on Your Computer". "MS Windows XP, etc, etc."
    It is a Dell disk that came with the unit.

13. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...what is your situation with your files? Do you have your important files on the computer backed up to a device other than your main hard drive?

As for the disk, you mentioned that you were able to boot to the disk after you removed all the cables. Is that still true?

This is a manufacturer's restore disk, and I won't know your options with it until you are able to boot to it. If you are able to boot to it, make a note of the options on the screen available to you, post them, and we will go from there.

If you have important files you need removed from the computer to a storage device, you may have need of an experienced hands on technician. The above should be able to retrieve your files for you. That's a ways from now, however. Just need to see your options first...

14. Sealevelram

As I mentioned, my files are backed up with Carbonite, a automatic backup service.
    Yes, I am still able to boot from the DVD.
    After booting from the DVD, it asks:
    "Set up windows XP now" or
    "Run the recovery console"
    or Quit.
    I have run the recovery console and done a chkdsk /r twice. Blue screen.
    Have not done the set up windows now option.

15. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...forgot about your files...that's good.

Well, since your files aren't a problem, it's time to run the Windows XP setup.

I'm not familiar with the Dell disk, but the options should be self explanatory.

A couple of questions here. Are your the original owner of the PC? Do you know for certain that the recovery partition is intact?

One thing you may want to try is to check to see if the partition is there for you to restore. During BIOS start up, press F11 to see if the Dell System Restore feature is still there...hopefully no blue screen...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice