1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dreadfully slow connection speeds only on wired machine

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Reinpret, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reinpret

Reinpret Thread Starter

I'm beyond confused about this i'll try to explain.

Earlier today or yesterday i guess, I was watching some youtube videos when i noticed that they just weren't loading very fast. So i thought hey, this happens from time to time, its the site, does updating sometimes, i get it.

I downloaded a trial version of an MMO, or attempted to I should say, thats when i really noticed a problem. The very first second upon downloading it was up at a fairly good pace 300KB/s -- im cool with that, but hten it dropped down to 10kb then 5kb quckly after then to staying in the bytes, then eventually after maybe 5 minutes giving up.

I should mention i'm def not a novice, but i'm not a super advanced user. I did tech support for hp and comcast for 6 years.

OK so now i can't surf in IE worth a crap because everytime i open up to download something it gets instantly chopped down to nothing.

So I checked first if it was maybe slow pings, or not hitting a hope out there, by tracert to yahoo.. things looked ok. Pinging IP and URL no problem, the occasional packet loss, but nothing major.

I checked the laptop upstairs, its absolutely flying, and heres the kicker its wireless. No packet loss, moving at a steady 600KB/s. For me thats great.
    THe hardwired main machine is like a puckered butt whole not letting anything by. For an example i tried downloading Hijackthis.. everyone knows how small that installer file is, well i got stopped halfway in that download and it gave up. But again its not becuase of the occasional packet loss. IT just can't be.

I have a linksys WRT54G router, no special version, updated firmware. Now because of being in tech support, my first thought was maybe its a winsock situation? so i re/re the winsock2.. still nothing of any speed.

Also i'll mention that my xbox360 was working fine playing GTA4 online.

This is what i've done. :mad:

-reinstalled Nic drivers / multiple times.
    - winsock2 reset
    - Hijackthis basically removed or fixed everything of possible importance.
    - AVG full scan
    - Adaware scan, although not completely updated for obvious reasons.
    - even though 2 other devices were working, i powercycled my router, and reset it 3 times each. (previously I had been working working with port forwarding a bit but that was all reset) thought that maybe i had opened up some port that was crap or something.
    - One suspicious process called starwindserviceAE.exe process. I know its something to do with DVD burning software i downloaded. or something. But i just have a funny feeling about it.
    - I would have formatted but I really have not used my cd-rom drive in a while, and it just doesn't boot anymore, too dusty too old.

SO even though all the pings are working well, and with good MS return times, everything through both firefox and IE are dead slow. I have dynamic DHCP on the router, no specific DNS set. Everything else is working fine on the other machines.

As we speak im on the machine in question, it took about 10 minutes to get to this page. Its brutal. The interesting thing, if its packet loss it usually goes to page cannot be displayed, but mine never does that, it eventually goes to where its suppose to go, but takes forever..

I'm conviced its something on my machine specifically. I can usually take care of these issues, but I need some guys smarter than me to help me out here.

Ill stop there and ask questions for things i've forgot to mention..

to summarize, 2 other machines work great on network, this one main machine its dreadfully slow surfing, but pings are good. Everything resolves no problem when pinging, and i have done multiple spyware or BHO removals.

Msconfig obvously has been done.

Ok thanks guys.

2. Reinpret

Reinpret Thread Starter

I just want to bump this..

3. Reinpret

Reinpret Thread Starter

This is weird.. I know my post is long but I was hoping for a little advice.
    every speed test on the laptop computer comes up great. Upload and download speed is great.

I managed to format the other machine that was giving problems. For maybe a day it was working great. I downloaded all my programs back and they all came back well. Basic stuff, like AVG and antispyware stuff, some video codec packages and VLC player and such. But nothing major.

Now a speed test on the desktop computer shows that the upload speed is great, i get a cap of around 55 KB/s - and my download speed is HALF that.. what the hell?? how is this possible. Even after the format, i think something is still effecting this. Im thinking ethernet card maybe?? I switched cables.. but i ruled out software didnt i by formatting?

someone for the love of jeff help me..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/718960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice