1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dreamweaver issues

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by tjschuring, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjschuring

tjschuring Thread Starter

Hey to all of you and first off thanks for any help you may be able to offer me.

My issue it this I have created a site in Dreamweaver using layers, or as some prefer to call it <div>, the site is complete and was looking great in both ie and firefox trials. I sent an active link to a number of people for some more testing before I go active. But two of the people had problems viewing the site on their computer. The problem is with the text, for some reason is seams to have resized to a larger font, which is throwing off everything. Creating paragraphs to overlap and some to be cut off.

I'm not quite sure what the problem is here or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    You will need to post a link to your site and / or your css and html here. It is propbably to do with the way you have defined font size in your CSS as the users browser can make changes to font size.

3. tjschuring

Well heres the link.

RushmoreBuildings.com/rushtemp/

4. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Looked at your code and the site and nothing leaps out at me. I have checked it in Safari, Firefox 3, IE6, Opera 9.6 and Chrome and it displays fine in all of these. Can you get a screen shot of what they are seeing?

5. tjschuring

6. tjschuring

It should be attached.

Attached Files:

7. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Just looked at, for instance, your div #apdiv27 with a style of 8 (don't you just love Dreamweaver's styling) is set to a font size of 10pt by your style but is actually styled to 13.333333px in FF3. Try setting your font size as part of the #apdiv27 rather than a separate style. This may be what is allowing the browser to rescale the font size.

8. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    The way you are styling your menu is also unconventional to say the least. Create it as a list and style the list appropriately for the menu.

9. tjschuring

any chance you have a sample of this?

10. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Here's an example of the html

Code:
    <div class="topnav" id="nav">
        <ul>
          <li><a href="#">Home</a></li>
          <li><a href="about.html">About Us</a></li>
          <li><a href="groups.html">Groups</a></li>
          <li><a href="membership.html">Membership</a></li>
          <li><a href="committee.html">Committee</a></li>
          <!--<li><a href="constitution.html">Constitution</a></li>-->
          <li><a href="links.html">Links</a></li>
        </ul>
      </div>
    Here's some css

Code:
    .topnav {
    	position:relative;
    	clear:both;
    	width:985px;
    	height:21px;
    	margin:0 0 0 0;
    	padding:0 0 0 0;
    	background:#cccccc;
    	font-size:1.4em;
    	border-top:1px solid #9EB874;
    	border-bottom:1px solid #9EB874;
    	background-color: #999999;
    }

/* top navigation bar */
    #nav ul{
    	padding:0 0 0 0;
    	margin:0 0 0 0;
    	white-space: nowrap;
    	font-size:0.8em;
    	color:#ffffff;
    	float:left;
    	width:100%;
    	background:#ffffff url(images/topnav_bg_grey.gif);
    	list-style:none;
    }

#nav ul li{
    display:inline;
    list-style:none;
    }

#nav ul li a{
    margin: 0 0 0 0;
    padding: .25em 2em .3em 2em;
    background:#ffffff url(images/topnav_bg_grey.gif);
    color: #000000;
    text-decoration:none;
    float: left;
    border-right:1px solid #cccccc;
    }

#nav ul li a:hover{
    background:#9EB874 url(images/nav_bg_green.gif);
    color: #ffffff;
    text-decoration:none;
    border-right:1px solid #cccccc;
    }

and the image is a gif that is sized 2px wide and 21 px tall

This is just a cut and paste from one of my sites but you should be able to work it out.

You have a lot of CSS in your main page that would be better off in a linked style sheet.

Cut all the stuff in the style tags out of your page and place then in a new page called style.css

in your html page in between the head tags insert

Code:
    <link href="syle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"  > 
    That should make your page load faster.

I see you have added the font size to the div as suggested is that making a difference to how it is displayed on the errant machines?

11. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Remove the class from your apdiv27 and give it a try

12. tjschuring

No it hasn't made anything better yet...but I will try to new stuff you advised.

13. jdean

jdean

Your users are resizing the font in the browser. Firefox (and IE7, if I recall correctly) let the user resize fonts regardless of how they are specified in the page. You can easily see this by pressing Ctrl-+ when running Firefox on your site.

Even if there is some way to circumvent this, I would not recommend it. Some people need to increase the font size. Common reasons are disabilities or physically small but high resolution screens (for example, Dell's 1900x1200 17" laptop screens). Older browsers (such as IE6) did not allow absolute-sized fonts to be scaled and that turned into a real usability problem for many people.

You need to learn how to build a more flexible layout. Unfortunately, I know just enough to be dangerous here but not enough to tell you how to do it (and certainly not with Dreamweaver). You are certainly not the first person to run into this problem, and I suspect you can find tips on how to deal with this in the Dreamweaver documentation and on the net.

14. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    This isn't a Dreamweaver issue BUT it is a CSS issue, I was hoping that one of the CSS gurus like Tom would jump in on this thread but he hasn't unfortunately

15. jdean

jdean

Just to be clear: I wasn't suggesting this was a Dreamweaver issue, I was suggesting that you search for solutions in the Dreamweaver community. If you were doing this with Microsoft's web designer software, I would have suggested searching in that user community.

Dreamweaver has created a template for you that relies on absolute positioning and this fails when users adjust the font size. Your items should be positioned in a relative way so that when the font size increases (or decreases), your layout will adjust.

Go to any web page and try increasing your font size. You'll see that some web pages handle this properly and some do not.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!