Dreamweaver MX Web Design followup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

socrates2k1

Hey, I realize I got absolutely no response from posting this the first time, but I thought I would give it one more try. I do want to say thank you for those of you who at least read it.

I know what my template needs to look like.
Basically, I will have a lighhouse that will take up the left side panel and on it will be the Hyperlinks to other pages.
The top of that lighthouse will be on the top panel. Across the top will be a beam of light coming from the lighthouse with the name of the church in the beam of light.
So, basically the lighthouse and the beam of light are my template ie they will be a constant on every page.
I will use the middle or main part of the page to change the aspects of each page, using the right side panel without borders.
The bottom panel will have hyperlinks, the same as the ones on the lighthouse tower, for quick reference.
Once I have this template the rest should be alot easier.
So, I know what I want, I just cannot seem to put the pieces together. It has been difficult just trying to match up the lightbeam with the top of the lighthouse. I know this may be childsplay to most or all of you, but I need to learn and learn quick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I got a book from my local library, Learn Dreamweaver MX in 24 hours, and it didnt even teach me how to do this.

socrates2k1

thanks Alot For All The Help, Absolutely None

What A Help Forum

Take Care And God Bless

Hmmm, I think I gave you a reply to your initial post. You do realize everyone herer does this for free and it is the holidays. Many people are still on vacation or doing other family things. Don't be so impatient!

Impatience....Wonder how long it took "god" to ponder what the earth would look like, and who was yelling at him to hurry up?

Anyhow, unfortunately by the sounds of what you want, you cant use simple templates, you will need to create slices of objects, or images to create the desired template, referred to as image mapping.

Do you have Macromedia Fireworks? If not, download a trial and create the page design (like you page image of the whole page) and slice that. Once you have finished this, you can export to Dreamweaver. It will create the html page (usually sloppy but a good place to start, you can clean it up as you learn more). In Dreamweaver, you can create hotspots to link your site. (the image title and light beaming on it would be created in Fireworks)

Look at this quick example I put together, I know its not exactly as you wanted but its very simple, you should be able to follow it.
Sample

socrates2k1

Hey,

I apologize for my impatience, and yes I realize that you all do this free of charge. Again, I apologize for my impatience, thank you for your responses, they are deeply appreciated.

Yes, I have Macromedia Dreamweave MX, Macromedia Extension Manager, Macromedia Fireworks MX, and Macromedia Flash 5.

For a quick example, that is pretty much what I'm wanting, thank you.

Thank you again, very much, again I apologize for my impatience, but it has been very frustrating trying to teach yourself. The books, the walk thru's, the Help files, etc. just don't walk you through, step by step, which would be of great help. Anyways, I will take your advice and try it. Thank you once again.

Hey, no problem, I too understand your frustration. Theres really no need to expect quick results in free forums.

If you view the source code for the page you will see what the page layout looks like( copy and paste it into dreamweaver)

To create it, I used Fireworks, created my page (A good size image to begin with is 1024x768) then using the slice tool, created a basic page layout.
Here's a good lesson in image slicing/mapping .:edit= Same link as previous posted answer, beat me to it:.

Although the page I posted is very small, you can generally get the idea from that example. If you need more help, PM me or post back here, I will try to help you along.

socrates2k1

Hi,

Great suggestions, I will certainly try these out and see what I can do with them.

Again, my apologies for my impatience.

Thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online