1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dreamweaver/Web Site Help

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by CoverTune, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoverTune

CoverTune Thread Starter

Oh man I'm in waayy over my head, lol. I'm designing/building a website (using Dreamweaver) and really only know basic HTML... but it's really important to me that this site be professional looking and, well, just flat out good. I have the layouts for each page planned out and "sketched" in Photoshop... but really don't know how to put it all into practice.

Anyway, blah blah blah... what I need help with is frames... I managed to get one frame set up when I was working on this project (over a year ago, yikes!), but was never able to get it to work properly (couldn't get rid of the horizontal scroll). The design I have planned out now is a fairly complex frame setup, I think, so I'm begging for help, lol.

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

If I can talk you out of it, frames is a terrible site design concept, and really antiquated. all current crowsers read frames, but the ugly horizontal scroll bars are common because of the various screen sizes and your site wont look professional

If you can take the time to create the slices correctly in photoshop you can build a very nice site. Once you slice up the image export it with imageready and then open the document with dreamweaver and see waht it looks like.

3. knight_47

knight_47

If you need some help slicing, you can upload the PSD, and I'll be glad to slice it up for you. It's really easy though, you should know how to do it.

4. face1

face1

If you bought dreamweaver as part of the Macromedia suite, it included Fireworks.
    If you do indeed have Fireworks, it will import your .psd from photoshop (without effects) including layers.
    Fireworks is not a direct photoshop replacement, but it does great auto-slicing, export for web and file size optimizing

5. CoverTune

CoverTune Thread Starter

Ok, call me an idiot, but I don't even know what slicing is. I'm "all for" not using frames if there's a better way to do it, but I have no idea what that better way is or how to do it.

The photoshop images I have are not "the website", they are just a basic sketch I threw together maping out how I want each page and what info is going on them.

6. covert215

covert215 Banned

Most people use frames because they think it aids the design. Use tables instead. Even though tables are becoming more and more obsolete, it is a very easy way to layout your pages.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice