1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drink Spilled on Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alvatar, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alvatar

Alvatar Thread Starter

Hi,

I accidently spilled a glass of cream soda on my laptop keyboard about a week ago. I immediately wiped up the drink, unplugged my computer and left it to dry overnight. The next morning I turned my computer on and it booted up just fine except the esc, num lock, and a couple of the f keys didn't work. I then turned my computer off then left it to dry in the sun for a few hours and afterwards those keys worked fine. A few days later those keys stopped working again. My computer is running just fine except for those few keys. Is there anything that I can try to do myself or should I take my computer to a repair shop?

Thanks,

2. K7M

K7M

I would just replace the keyboard. They run about $15.-$20 on ebay. They are a little bit of a pain to change on some laptops but you just have to be careful.

3. raybro

raybro

You will likely get disagreement from others on this, but here is what I would do.

Get yourself a bottle of distilled water, remove the Li-Ion battery and the CMOS battery. You might also consider removing as many removable components as possible (hard drive, CD drive, RAM, etc.)Get the owners manual for the laptop and remove the keyboard such you can access the underside of it. Using a fine hair brush and distilled water, carefully clean everything you can get access to on top, under and around the keyboard. You can also used canned air (available at any computer supply store) to remove the excess water. Ovoid as much as possible getting any water inside the case. Do this repetitively to ensure removal of as much of the cream soda residue as possible.

Then I would dry the unit with a hair dryer set on low. This is necessarily a time consuming process, but you do not want to risk overheating any part of the laptop, so take the time to do it slowly.Then I would allow the laptop to sit for at least a day in a room temperature environment before reinstalling the batteries and components and powering it up.

Please understand this is what I would do in your same situation, but I make no guaranty regarding adverse effects. Water is natures most efficient solvent and will not have any adverse effect on the vast majority of materials used in laptop construction. The real key to success in this process is removal of all the cream soda residue and the water. Distilled water (or, in my case, RO water) is used because it contains no mineralization which would make it electrically conductive. If you happen to have access to it, deionized water would be even better.

BTW... Welcome to TSG

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice