1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shadow_555, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shadow_555

Shadow_555 Thread Starter

Hey i recently installed a new floppy disk drive due to old one becoming damaged after a floppy disk got jammed in it, after installing this new drive i get an error on the first start screen saying 'Floppy drive failure, press F1 to continue'

I also have 'Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibiltiy mode file system' in the performance tab in system.

Ok i was wondering how to fix this i also see two floppy disk controlers on hardware tab, is that correct?

Thanks in advance

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Is the light on the floppy drive contantly lit even when it's not in use? If not, do you even see it light up when booting up?

3. Rockn

Rockn

Sounds like you have the ribbon cable or power connected incorrectly. Check for a good connection and that the red stripe on the ribbon cable is oriented correctly to pin one on the FDD.

4. Shadow_555

that originaly was my first porblem when i first put the drive in lol, the light was continiously on, however once the fixed the cable, it was ok, but not really lol, got this error instead, any ideas?

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    That's why I asked if the light was on constantly. If it is, then you have the strap on backwards.

Anyway, what error message are you getting?

6. Shadow_555

'Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibiltiy mode file system'

The light isnt on continously, it was until i fixed it was what i was saying

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    First try deleting the floppy drive listed in the Device Manager along with the two floppy controllers and then restart Windows to let it re add the device.

Is it ok now?

If not, you haven't mentioned your version of Windows. Assuming it's W95/98/ME, try troubleshooting it with the article below. If it's not W95/98/ME, what is the OS version? Let us know what you find.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131690&Product=w98

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If it's not ok after removing the devices and rebooting, try this before you goto the article.

Start>Run, key in msconfig and press enter. Now select "Selective Startup" and unselect "Process Autoexec.bat". Now click on Apply and follow the prompts to restart. Now check the floppy status. Is it ok now?

If not go back to Selective Startup and Unselect "Process Config.sys", click on Apply and follow the prompts to restart. Is it ok now?

9. Shadow_555

nope haha, tried all 3 methods to no avail :(

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Have you looked at the Microsoft article I linked above and tried all of their suggestions?

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Most often, this will be solved only with a format and reinstall :(

Have you scanned for viruses lately, by chance?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice