1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive A Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by toujours, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

My Drive A starts and lights up without a floppy disk inside it. I have been offered possible solutions to this, but none have addressed the problem. One of these was checking the Registry Editor HKEY_CURRENT _USER, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Policies, Explorer, and altering the value of "NoDriveTypeAAutoRun." The value I have is 95 00 00 00, which seems to be correct. Another possibility I came across from reading the Archives here was looking at the Device Manager > Properties > Settings Tab> Options. These are shown as Disconnect, Auto Insert Notification, which can be either checked or unchecked. In mine these are grayed out and nothing can be done with them. A third possibility for causing the problem was that my antivirus program could be making drive A act up, but drive A has been acting up since before I got the antivirus program. Thus, all of the leads have come to a dead end.

If anyone has suggestions, I would be very grateful to hear from them.

Thanks.

ps. It's been suggested that whenever drive A acts up, I do the control>alt>del key combination to see which program/application is active. I have done this, but there's always a list of the various programs I've worked with/opened and I can't tell from here which one might be the culprit.

:(

2. rugrat

rugrat

A Long shot,
    Do you have Microsoft Office installed. If you do there is a program in office called Find Fast. Every few minutes Find Fast searches the drives on your machine so it can index new documents that it finds.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q199787

This link will tell you how to disable it if this is the problem.

Took a shot, hope it helps

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:rolleyes: Right click on "My Computer". Click on Performance.Click on File System. Click on Floppy Disk. Uncheck the "Search for new floppy disk drive each time computer starts". Good luck. KW1

4. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

I have done what you both suggested: disabled Findfast and unchecked search for new floppy drive when computer starts. I'll let you know if doing these things did the trick.

Thank you much and Merry Christmas.

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I have to ask when is the last time you ran a good updated virus scanner? My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!
    That will eliminate one of the possiblities.

6. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

It's ironic that you should mention it, but I've gotten a clean bill of health from several antivirus programs. I just recently installed Etrust EZ Antivirus Program for ongoing protection. No virus scan detected a virus, worm, etc. Actually, I tried so many of them it's not even funny. I also installed a Firewall. Both the Firewall and the antivirus program were installed in the last couple of days, whereas the drive A problem started months ago. I also thought it could be due to a virus, but no virus has come up. Go figure.

Thanks and happy holidays to you.

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

well thats a good thing. But puts us right back at the drawing board trying to figure it out.

what happens when you reboot w/ a floppy in?

This might be stupid but have you checked to see if its in your startup group????

8. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

The last time I rebooted and left a floppy disk in drive A, I remember that I got an error message or some sort of notification from Windows about having left the disk in the drive. I haven't done this in eons, however. I'm not sure I understood what you meant by it being in my startup group. If you mean the floppy disk/ drive A, no, it's not. I'm going to wait and see if disabling Findfast, which I just tried doing today, solves the problem. I had heard about Findfast possibly causing a problem such as this once before. I should know in a few days.

Happy holidays to you as well.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice