1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive backup w/Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ArtVandalay, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArtVandalay

ArtVandalay Thread Starter

Acronis True Image 6.0 is supposed to be able to write directly to removable media, including DVD+RW, and even states it in the user guide.

However, when I attempt to do so, I receive the following error message: "Failed to write to image archive file. A possible reason could be poor media quality."

I don't think the discs are faulty - I've tried this with 2 types of major brand name DVDs write out of the shrink wrap.

The user interface is fairly simple, so I don't believe I've overlooked any significant steps......anyone else out there have similar problems with this software?

Thanx (y)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Interesting, I tried to write to a CD-RW and encountered an error. I don't remember the exact error, it was some time ago. I tried their trial, thinking I might retire Norton GHOST, but I'm not convinced yet. I figure I'll give them a few more months and try it again. :)

3. ArtVandalay

All I had to do was read the user guide a little more carefully......
    it plainly states that you first have to format the media with your burner software (in my case, Roxio's Easy CD Creator's DirectCD utility).

4. JohnWill

Does that mean you can't write a backup to CD-R media?

5. ArtVandalay

Not at all.......you just have to format the disc before backing up your data.

6. Tuxie

Tuxie

Tried Acronis 6 on Win 98 SE and all it did was lockup the PC when burning to CD-R but it works when burning to CD-RW...got BSOD on Win ME when burning to CD-R...works fine on Win 2000 and XP,also try creating a boot cd in Win 98 and it says burn was successfull... but Explorer shows absoluely no files...show all file attributes were disabled...properties of burned cd shows 4.6 megabytes used! so..go figure that!!!

7. JohnWill

Uhh, you can't "format" CD-R media, you only get to write to it once! :D

8. DaveAlsoDave

DaveAlsoDave

I am keep getting errors when I try to create an image of my hard drive directly to CD-Rs. Specifically, "Failed to write data to the image archive file. A possible reason maybe poor media quality." The program glibly states that the user needs to "prepare the CD-R/CD-RWs you will write too," but how to do so is not mentioned in the users manual. Their website's FAQ (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/faq.html) does mention how to prepare DVDs using Nero, Roxio DirectCD, or Pinnacle InstantCD/DVD, but not CDs. I'm going to try to make an image file on my hard drive and split it into small enough chunks so I can burn it to CDs, but according to one review I read of True Image (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,9910), this can not be done on a system with only one hard drive. If anyone knows how to write directly to CDs, please let me know. I would like to use this program every month or so, and it would be nice to cut out any superfluous steps. Also, please note that my CD burner is 32x, and both brands of CDs that I've tried have been 40x, so that is not the problem.

Thanks for your time,
    Dave

9. ArtVandalay

You can format CD-R/CD-RW discs using Roxio DirectCD or Nero in the same way you would DVDs.....just use the help files.

To johnwill:

Uhh, you can "format" CD-R media using the aforementioned software. It does not "format" in the way of erasing data; instead it "prepares" the disc for burning image backups or for drag-and-drop operations.

10. buf

buf

11. DaveAlsoDave

DaveAlsoDave

I have searched through Nero's help files but have not been able to find instructions on formatting a CD or DVD. Could you point me to a specific section or passage?

I tried setting up a CD as I normally would when burning files and then simply burn it without actually putting any files on it, but the program would not allow it. So I burnt a CD with only one small text file on it, but Acronis would not write to it, astutely pointing out that it already had a file on it.

I read the other post regarding this program, but no one mentions how to do this there either. If anyone would post explicit instructions for formatting a CD, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

12. CLEARICE01

CLEARICE01

iam running a p4.1400.with windows xp home edition.with sp1.and all updates.when i try to copy my harddrive i get a error message failed cant create image the prob may be poor media.i have read the other posts and art vandalay says you can format a cd-r.i have tryed with nero and roxio. iam now using the cd burning software that comes with windows xp.what i would like to know is how do you format a cd-r on the windows cd burning software.i have talked to the acronis support taem.and sent a cd record. log file for them to check on but still no reply yet.and about the media i have used two diffrent types on cd-r rite out of the rap.eny help would be greatly appreciated.thanks :confused:

Attached Files:

13. ArtVandalay

Now I'm not an authority on Roxio, Nero, nor Acronis....all I can say is that it's worked for me.

I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3 which includes the DirectCD utility.

See the attached image.....if you have the Roxio software (version 5.0 or later) it should be that easy.

Attached Files:

14. CLEARICE01

CLEARICE01

HI ARTVANDALAY.THANKS FOR THE REPLY I JUST GOT EASY CD CREATOR 5.3 MYSELF AND IT DOES WORK THANKS FOR THE POST.

15. DaveAlsoDave

DaveAlsoDave

Hi,
    Thanks for the post ArtVandalay.
    Could someone please post instructions for formating CD's for Acronis True Image 6.0 with Nero as well? I am using Nero 6 Ultra, and I don't have any plans to purchase any more burning software for a while. Or, if someone could point me to a guide somewhere else--I haven't had any luck googling for one--or to where in the manual or help files it says how to do this, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
    Dave

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice