1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive C, and D?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crusher09, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crusher09

Crusher09 Thread Starter

I've just got my computer back from a repair and there is a C and D drive. Before I got it repaired I had only the C drive.

My problem is on my C drive there is only 1.99GB of memory and it has been used up. But on my D drive there is 14.5Gb of free memory and I want to transfer that memory to drive C or merge the two drives together as one.

Is there any way to do so?

2. zupadupa

zupadupa

Someone created another partition. They basically split your harddrive into two by the means of software. What files are on your C drive? There probably is a reason why the repair shop created that partition and filled it up.

You can collapse the partitions back to one, but it takes quite some time (backing up data and important things) and then using a program to do it. I dont really see the sense in doing that because I am sure that the repair shop did it for a reason.

What version of windows are you using and do you want to collapse the partition into one to have more space or what?

3. Topato

Topato

The reapair shop probably put your windows installation on the C: and left a D: for whatever else you want to put on. This is common practice and helps to detur some types of viruses.

4. Crusher09

Crusher09 Thread Starter

The repair man has named drive C "system". It has, as the name suggests, the system files on it but it has software files such as games on it too. So when I go to save my games there is too little memory to save on the drive.

Is there any way of setting drive C as default when installing software?
    And is there any way of to transfer the files on C to D?

My OS is Windows ME.

Thanks for feedback so far. :)

5. zupadupa

zupadupa

why not install programs to the 14 GB partition? Just specify the correct letter drive when installing stuff.

To transfer files you just have to copy and paste. Crtl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

6. aprilluv2

aprilluv2

Hate to bring up an old thread but I have a similar issue and did not want to start a whole new thread for it. Hope that is Ok

I too had a new Hard drive went to 80 Gig from 40 gig recently added the tech who did it also did mine the same way and said to Just install everything on to the D drive (he had placed Win XP Pro on the C)
    When I went to do this though it continued to say can not create folder or file or something like that so I went ahead and put it on C since it would not let me do anything else
    Now I have added my Anti Virus my ad aware and my game My big thing is this game will eventually be growing as I am adding to it (new expansion pack downloads etc) and well I Really would like it over on D
    I however had a heck of a time installing it and would Much rather not mess up and have to go through it again
    So can some one help me in a newbie step by step type way I mean I am a Little knowledgeable and can add certain things but well when it comes to software and registry and such I am a total dunce

Can the whole program files folder go to D?
    just copy and paste?
    or Only the game folder itself?

If I copy and paste it How will that effect registry or will it?
    Just wondering as I said this is total confusion to me
    I could call him back but I am so grateful for all the work he has done for me on this machine I hate to keep asking him dumb questions.

Thanks for any info and help
    April

7. TechGuy42

TechGuy42

you can merge them back together by using the FDISK in MS Dos or Partion Magic or some other program like those 2. But remember to abck up thedata on the14 GB partion because when you emrge them you will lose that data.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice