1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive/Computer always doing something and slows everything

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dbaldridge, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:15 AM.

Advertisement
  1. dbaldridge

dbaldridge Thread Starter

My system is a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 8 GB of RAM and the computer is always doing something as I see the HD LED flashing. This slows down everything. I checked all the settings. CPU is at 20% usage and Memory is at 60% in task manager. There is plenty of unused HD space and the network is not busy.
    I checked programs which I need running in the background to make sure they were not operating while I used the computer so this should not be the problem. Yes, it is slow and I don't know where else to start.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on what else to check. Thank you

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8191 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 570, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (388 GB Free); D: 931 GB (854 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 0A9Ch
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

You appear to have a HP xw6600 WorkStation desktop which came with Windows XP Pro or Windows Vista Business, but that doesn't mean it can't run Windows 10 Pro.

It has 8 GB of DDR2 RAM and the above described processor and graphics, so it should be able to handle normal computer functions.

If the Task Manager indicates 60% of its RAM is being used, it's my guess it has a lot of running processes.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. dbaldridge

Yes, there are numerous processes running most of which I want operating. I just can't figure out why the HD led is flashing on/off all the time and what specifically is slowing down the operation?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you insist on having numerous running processes in your HP desktop, then it's going to run slow and its hard drive is going to work more.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. dbaldridge

You are most likely correct but it still does not seem normal for the HD to flash all the time. Thank you

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice