1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

drive copying for free???

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by XbrvhrtX, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I`m looking for a utility to copy my OS and progs (image my C: drive) to my second drive so i can do some maintanance on my C: drive

( I want to fdisk and reformat my c: drive because its showing an error (see screenshot) while i try to use partition magic regarding an unalocated portion (465mb) of my 60gb C: drive, this portion shows up first on PM before my primary drive so it says my drive is bad (used powermax for my maxtor HD and everything passed, have scandisked and defraged and no probs showing)

So basicly....:D I would like to send a copy of my C: drive to my seperate D: drive, Fdisk etc the C: drive and copy everything back over from D: to C: removing the fact that i would have to re-install everything again.....OHH....and did I mention I would like this utility to be free :D, most of the trial stuff I have seen are limited to drive size and dont fancy forking out for "Drive image" just for this 1 process

Tnx
    XbrvhrtX :D[​IMG]

2. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX Thread Starter

"anybody :D"

3. putasolution

putasolution

You might want to try your Hard Drive manufacturers website,

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've seen a free image utility, as well as a free partitioning utility, but the names escape me right now. I have GHOST and PM, so I don't have too much interest in the alternatives.

FWIW, there are a number of people that are offering Norton System Works Pro 2003 for $10 or so, a deal that's hard to pass by. It includes GHOST 2003, NAV 2003, and Norton Utilities 2003. I bought a bunch of them from Eagle Computer for a client, since I needed to upgrade a bunch of laptops. :)

5. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX Thread Starter

Tnx for reply guys

putasolution Tried maxtor's site, got maxblast diagnosis tools, no probs found on drive :D no no drive image tools however.

johnwill found THIS looks like it meets my needs but not sure how good it is, have you seen it??

Not mad keen on Norton software, have seen it make grown men cry (including some prety compitent PC "techs/enthusiasts") :D, great software but not for the faint hearted

I do have what I call "my set up" disk that i have filled with all the normal progs and utils I load after a clean install along with my OS but i was hoping to find an quicker solution rather than reloading everything after i delete all partitions with Fdisk :D

XbrvhrtX :D

6. putasolution

putasolution

I cry when I hear of people installing Norton Products on any machine I built for them. You spend all that time and effort on it and then someone does that ;)

That app you linked to looks ok, it appears to support Win 9X only, but for a freebie, it doesn't look back

I suggest that you read some of the suggestions made by those who posted comments as to the most efficient way of using it :D

7. mad-martin

mad-martin

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I hear all the crying about Norton's tools, but I've used them for years on many systems, and I have no horror stories to tell. No, they haven't all worked perfectly, and I have had problems along the way, but nothing major. I've also had problems with lots of other software packages, like Windows, and I still use it too. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/152719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice