1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive doesn't recognise blank cd's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by monkeyem, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monkeyem

monkeyem Thread Starter

Hi, hope someone can help me.

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 that used to burn to blank CD's fine but for some reason has decided to stop.

The drive won't recognise blank cd's at all. Any suggestions on what i can do to resolve this?

Please bear in mind that whilst I'm not completely computer illiterate I'll probably need this explained in a fairly basic way :eek:

Thanks

2. L0gic

L0gic

monkeyem

Thank you for the post! I take it you have a HL-DT-ST DVD +-RW GWA4164B drive that is the issue? If so, the GWA-4164B is a problematic drive. This model is a custom one for OEM customers and is usually only bundled by OEMs like Dell with their computers. It isn't usually sold as a bare drive on the market. It's not typical of the quality of LG drives in general. Unfortunately, it might be the only encounter with LG drives most Dell and other OEM computer owners ever encounter. Have you tried updating the drivers?

3. monkeyem

monkeyem Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to update the drivers followings the instructions on Dell's support website but got thoroughly confused :eek:

Was hoping someone here would be able to explain things a bit better for me.

4. L0gic

L0gic

Can you boot from a bootable cd when you start your computer?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

CD writers don't need drivers to function. Windows takes care of that.

What happens when you put in a blank CD?
    What program are you using to burn the CDs? (Windows? What version? Nero? Roxio? Windows Media Player?)
    Does it read any CDs?
    Sometimes the drives just fail.

6. L0gic

L0gic

You got a point there. How about we just microwave the device instead :D

7. nessyguin

nessyguin

Sometimes the brand (or even just certain batches of the brand) of media is incompatible with the drive . You could try updating the firmware (as an OEM device , you would do this via Dell , not LG) . Same Q's as DoubleHelix and two others . Does this happen with different brands ? Can the drive read discs it has previously burned ?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice