Drive Encyption and Paging File/Tempfiles

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

humbletech99

I am trialing drive encryption (TrueCrypt) and have created an encrypted D drive. I set my paging file to exist on the D drive so it is also encrypted and therefore safe and done the same with the temp directories.

The problem is the screen goes all funny at boot time (splits into 4 sqiggly screens) and then comes up. It was unable to create the pagefile as there is not yet a d drive. You have to use truecrypt to make the d drive by putting in the password, which makes sense since that's what keeps the data safe.

The temp directories are used after the d drive becomes available but the pagefile.sys is not created or used that I can tell. This is a problem because either it means I have to keep the pagefile on the unencrypted C drive which is a security risk or I have to do without a pagefile entirely.

Has anybody come across this issue and got any ideas for dealing with it? Perhaps you use some other drive encryption software which you think is better?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
What do you consider as the security risk with the pagefile?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
IMO, if you manage to encrypt the page file, all you'll do is SERIOUSLY slow down any accesses to it.

I'll ask the same question, why do you think the page file is a security risk? If you're that worried, set it to be cleared when you shutdown.

humbletech99

I've already written a reg to make this change but if you're smart you would just yank the power on the server so this doesn't happen and then put the disk in another machine and recover the pagefile to get a dump of what is in memory.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you have physical possession of the server, why would you screw around trying to dump the page file? :confused:

This is a solution desperately seeking a problem. :rolleyes:

Windows makes the page file or gains access to it during bootup and truecrypt will not give access to it until it is fully opened and mounted which is at a later time. Doing this with the pagefile is not going to help and will only hinder the process of windows running properly. I would delete the truecrypt on drive D; and put the pagefile back so Windows can use it. Also there is a fantastic manual that comes with truecrypt and I have seen nothing in it in or on any of the 105 pages of text that says anything about using it to encrypt the paging file. In my opinion I think this is bad procedure in using truecrypt but I give you credit for trying.

humbletech99

JohnWill said:
If you have physical possession of the server, why would you screw around trying to dump the page file? :confused:

This is a solution desperately seeking a problem. :rolleyes:
Not at all. You would steal the hard drive or boot into another os and read the data, bypassing both account and filesystem security. The issue isn't whether you can take the server down. It's whether you can run off with the data. If the console is locked and an offline recovery is the only way in, then encrypting the data on disk is your only defense.

ozrom1e: They do mention something, basically to disable the pagefile entirely which is what I am considering. Although this is not recommended by M$ since it can kill your ram (most progs ask for more than they need).

I expected the pagefile to not be created at boot. It's a shame it's not created later when the drive does eventually become available though. Had to try. There is no point encrypting data on disk and then leaving temp and pagefile etc in clear on c: drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online