Drive format questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dbar

I have recently formatted the drive on my laptop and reloaded the programs from disk (XP) and have a few questions I hope someone here could help with:

1. Reloading the programs from disk was pretty straightforward but downloading and installing the Windows service packs, updates and patches etc took hours (on broadband).
Can I back up these updates to disk so in future I can save all the downloading time and what exactly do I save? I looked in the files and just don’t know where to start!

2. After loading the various programs from disk and a few others such as AVG, Zone Alarm etc but prior to downloading the Windows updates the disk space used was about 3Gb. After downloading the service packs etc the disk space used jumped to over 9Gb! (yet, when I add up the individual folder sizes, it comes to only 4.4Gb)
Do the Windows updates take up an extra 6Gb? And where are they hiding?

3. The @ symbol has jumped from the ‘@’ key to the ‘2’ key. How do I change it back?

Apologies for the lengthy post but some help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,
I think think the best solution for your problem is backup software like Acronis True Image.
You could create and image of fresh install OS with all apps, updates and service parks.
Due to highest level compression it takes not much space. So you could easily and fast restore the hole HDD.

Also . . downloading the Microsoft Updates should take less than 20 mins on a broadband connection . . You might check out your network adaptor drivers and settings

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
THe @ symbol moving would appear to be possibly a language settings issue. What country are you in?

If you have System Restore turned on, you might also look at the size of the System Volume Information directory.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online