1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive Formats

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wizzo, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wizzo

Wizzo Thread Starter

I have a laptop that has a C and a D drive. I have the recovery on the D drive. Both drives are FAT32. Would it be better to change the C drive to NTFS format?? It is a WinXP Home Edition. Also the laptop only has 40gigs of hard drive with 20 on each drive. There is an excess of memory on the D drive that I would like to transfer to the C drive but I don't know how to do that. Is there an easy way to allocate some of the D memory over to the C drive, say 10 to 15 gigs

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Um, I think he wants to know about converting to NTFS. I've never done that particular conversion, but I would be hesitant to attempt it without having everything backed up.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Think you are using the work "memory" when you probably mean "hard drive space"

So then to rephrase, there is extra hard drive space on D: you would like to allocate to C:?

If so, again programs like Partition Magic can do that. It has nothing to do with whether the drive is NTFS or FAT32.

Now if you want to convert to NTFS you can, but it won't solve the reallocation of disk space you mentioned in the first post. Also, as a technical point, using partition magic you can convert back again. Not that you would necessarily want to but it is possible.

In either case, when converting or resizing, backup anything critical first.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice