1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive Image 2002 Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Allen100, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allen100

Allen100 Thread Starter

Hi, :)

Working with a Dell OptiPlex 210L with WindowsXP Home and an 80GB SATA disk.

PROBLEM: Created an image of C Drive which was saved to a Backup partition on the same disk. The image was crreated in normal fashion. Contrary to normal practice, the mirror image file cannot be copied to another location. Specifically, with no programs active and working from a clean desktop, went to Explore and attempted to copy the image file to a Download foldere on C Drive. Error messasge "Error Copying File Folder. Cannot copy (file name). Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."
    Other files from the Explore window can be copied to Download as usual.

Without being able to copy the image file to another location, it can be used only to restore that specific disk unless I install a second hard disk internally. This I prefer to not do. :(

BACKGROUND: Using another computer (Dell Dimension 2350 with a 60GB ATA disk) Drive Image 2002 has been used many times to make image files and several times to restore disks with excellent results. The images are saved to a similar Backup partition. The image files can be copied to a disk in an external storage box and specifically to a similar Download folder on C Drive as needed. This computer is still in use.

NOTE: I consider myself a fairly experienced computer user but am not a technician.

Thanks to anyone who can suggest a way for me to be able to copy the OptiPlex images to another location. :)

Allen100

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Have you tried to copy it via safe mode?

3. Allen100

Allen100 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks very much for your suggestion. I hadn't tried Safe mode. Did so today and was able to reach and operate Drive Image in good order. The image was completed successfully and the transfer rate was equal to regular mode.

Unfortunately, I still can't copy the image to another location.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Allen100 :)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How big is the image? Are you trying to copy it to a FAT32 volume, or an NTFS volume? Note that a FAT32 volume will limit the size of the image you can copy, they have a maximum filesize of 4gigs.

5. Allen100

Allen100 Thread Starter

Hi John,

Good point. This should have been covered in the original post.

1) The image is about 2.8GB.
    2) The partition being imaged is 20GB and is a NTFS volume.
    3) The partition to which the image is being filed is 55GB and is NTFS.

Another point not covered in the original post. Not only can't the image be copied to another file, it can't be deleted. This means that unless another solution is found, it will be necessary to delete the partition to clear these files. That will not be a problem.

Thanks very much for your interest.

Allen100 :)

6. JohnWill

Very strange! What does file properties of the image say?

7. Allen100

Allen100 Thread Starter

Hi John,
    The file properties of an image file on the OptiPlex machine (one with problem) were compared with those of an image file on the Dell 2350 machine( one with no problem). They are identical. Specifically, they are not read only, they are not hidden and "File is ready for archiving" is not checked, the "For fast searching, allow Indexing Service to index this file" is checked and "Compress contents to save disk space" is not checked.

If you need any additional information, just let me know.

Thanks again,

Allen100

8. JohnWill

I'm somewhat at a loss, I think this is one I'd have to tinker with. :)

9. Allen100

Allen100 Thread Starter

10. Allen100

Allen100 Thread Starter

11. Allen100

Allen100 Thread Starter

12. rhynes

rhynes

13. Allen100

Allen100 Thread Starter

Hi rhynes,
    Thanks for the suggestion. The microsoft file 308421 was checked. It seems to refer only to various Windows NT products.
    On the quesiton of Security, I am not aware of any file or folder restrictions. Two stand-alone computers are involved. Both have WindowsXP Home, SP 2. The partition into which the Backup Image is saved has the same name on both computers. Today, I checked the security settings on both partitions. They are identical. One computer will alow copying of a Drive Image file (also deletion) and one will not. I have administrator privledges on both.
    Also, it should be noted that other files can be copied from the same partition on the problem computer.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Allen100

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice