1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

drive image copy drive problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lawrence ng, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lawrence ng

lawrence ng Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a problem with drive image 2003 v7.00.

I am running winxp pro.

Before I install the sp1a I tried to use drive image 7 to copy drive with the new hard disk as slave.

Both new and old disks are Maxtor 120GB HDD each with a single NTFS partition. The new disk was just formatted. I had about 40 GB of data on the old disk.

I followed the procedure as outlined in the powerquest user guide and checked the selection to make the copied partition active, i.e., bootable. I even checked "copy MBR".

After the disk had been successfully copied I switched the new disk to be drive c: and made it the master. During boot up it showed the usual win xp startup screen with a horizontal animated bar then it proceed to show a "windows XP" screen and hanged there without getting to the winxp "welcome" screen. Simply, the disk could not boot!

I checked and found that all files had been copied over.

My hardware platform:
    AMD AthlonXP 1600+, Asus A7V8X motherboard, Asus 7100 pro AGP card, Creative Audigy sound card, Yamaha CDRW drive.

All updated drivers were already installed. The win xp on the old hard drive runs beautifully.

Why could not the new disk boot? Could somebody help please!

2. DVOM

DVOM

I'd give it another try.

First I'd jumper both old and new drives as master. Disconnect your CD-ROM (or whatever is master on the secondary IDE cable) and connect the new drive there. Set it on a box or whatever.

Copy the old drive to the new. Don't boot to windows until you've shut down and disconnected the old drive and put the new drive as master on the primary IDE cable.

If that doesn't work try Norton Ghost 2003 which you can get bundled with Norton Systemworks Pro 2003 >here< for $10 USD.

3. lawrence ng

Hi DVOM,

I had already done that. In fact, I had both old and new as master on primary & secondary IDE. As the new disk could not boot, I then looked through the Powerquest user guide which stated that the new disk be made slave while copying.
    I followed that but to no avail.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Certainly, I will give Norton Ghost a try but, I was just curious, Powerquest stated that Drive Image 2003 7.0 could perform copy drive and worked for win XP (it stated that its sister product Copy Drive 2002 v4 do not support Win XP). I believe Powerquest must have try it out for themselves.

Of course, it immediately brought the question, WHY?

4. DVOM

DVOM

I've never cloned drive to drive with XP. However I have cloned from one partition to another.

For some people, that doesn't work. XP and w2k don't always like being moved. Some people have to do a registry tweak before they clone to get it to work.

What you have to tweak is "HKLM>System>MountedDevices" and delete everything you can on the right side. On my machine they're all "\??|Volume{xxx..." and "\DosDevices\X:" entries.

This article explains that and also suggests that paging file errors can cause problems. Moving the paging file temporarily to another partition before cloning solves this. (I nor anyone else I've talked to has had problems with the page file)

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm

After the reg tweak, when I first boot and shutdown after cloning or restoring a clone, I get 2-3 errors. I'm guessing this is from the machine having to rebuild the registry entries. Some people don't get these errors.

Then all subsequent boots are error free.

5. lawrence ng

Hi DVOM,

Thanks for your help.
    Instead of wasting my precious time with drive image 7 I decided to go ahead with Norton Ghost 2003. It was really speedy.

Everything was over within 30 min includingpartitioning & formatting as well.

The clone worked perfectly and booting as expected.
    Now I really believe Norton Ghost while I will let my former favourite Drive Image rest in peace

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice