1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive Image in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jim in CO, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim in CO

Jim in CO Thread Starter

I'm using Partition Magic 6 and Drive Image 4 on a Windows 2000 Professional OS.

After using PM to create a new partition, it shows that I have this:

DiskPartition Type Size Used Unused Status Pri/Log
    ----- ---------- ----- ----- ------ -------- ------- --------
    1 C: NTFS 23509 7335 16173 Active Primary
    1 *. Extended 14653 14653 0 None Primary
    1 D: NTFS 14653 233 14419 None Logical

Then I tried to use Drive Image to make an image of C and put it on D. But when I browse for a drive to put the image on, it doesn't show D. Instead, it shows \\.\disk1.part2 and says that it only has 2131MB unused. The Drive Image manual says that this indicates a hidden partition but Partition Magic shows that it is not hidden.

Can you please tell me what's wrong?

I emailed this question to Symantec's support but didn't get a reply. Symantec owns PowerQuest now.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I am not sure how Drive Image works. Does it run from a boot disk or can it image your drive right from within Windows 2000.

If it images it from a bootdisk then you would need to make the partition FAT32.

Other than that, I dont know much about Drive Image. I use a Ghost boot disk and I have to image my drive to a FAT partition because DOS cannot read a NTFS partition. But that is all going to change once I get Ghost running on my BartPE disk.

3. Jim in CO

Jim in CO Thread Starter

Drive Image has to run from DOS. I changed the D partition from NTFS to FAT32 and had the same problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/202775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice