1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive Letter Assignment!!!! Please Help....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by downgrade, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. downgrade

downgrade Thread Starter

Ok. I just partitioned my hard drive to install a second OS on it. In doing so it asked me if i wanted to assign my partitions letters because it resized my primary partition and created another one. Being the dumbass i am i mistakenly clicked no. So my primary hard partition won't boot Windows xp pro cause it's not assigned the Drive letter C. How can i assign this a drive letter without deleting my data on the hard drive? thanx....

2. draceplace

draceplace

Left Click my computer, select manage, select disk management, left click on the partitions/drives and 'change drive letters and paths' is an option.

3. downgrade

downgrade Thread Starter

I can't boot windows xp to do that. my primary partition doesnt have an assigned letter so it won't boot.

4. downgrade

downgrade Thread Starter

Anybody Know?

5. draceplace

draceplace

put in the orginal install disk hit f2 and bring up the recovery console. (I haven't done this before)...you may then be able to fix with 'diskpart' comand.

6. downgrade

downgrade Thread Starter

thanx for your replies, but that was a no go also, anyone know anything else i can do to change the drive letter. Or boot my windows OS so i can do it through windows xp pro. ?

7. bobol

bobol

Bump....
    Someone might help you who knows how to use recovery console method.....

8. draceplace

draceplace

I'm afraid if you can't run the recovery disk your probably toast.

My thoughts:
    It seems though this OS (if it ever boots) would assign (or keep assignments) the to a: d: and such. I wonder if since C: isn't there now is assigned to the next available drive (ie CD drive). But if you think about it all refs in boot.ini are probably to C:*.* .... also maybe trying some other boot disk (in a drive it recognizes). Hopefully over the weekend some guru can shed some light...reply to this tomorrow and "push the thread" for the Saturday crowd.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP doesn't need to be C:, but it needs to have some letter.

Can you access the Recovery Console? What drives are available there?

What drive letter did your XP have before?

Can you spell out in detail exactly what you did, and especially with which programs? How did you resize your partition? What program asked about the drive letters?

This can be fixed, but we need to know in excruciating detail what you have done so far.

10. downgrade

downgrade Thread Starter

I have never used the Recovery Console before and in the directions i found on the internet to put in my windows xp disk and reboot the system and nothing happend. The disk didn't load. The drive letter that Xp had before was C. And to spell out exactly what i did:
    I booted xp pro and ran a program called Partition Expert to make a new secondary partition. I have an 80 gb hard drive and followed the options to make a new 20GB partition. which would leave me with 2 partitions a 60 and a 20. It then asked if i want to assign the new partition and the resized partition letters. That's when i mistakenly chose NO. Then the partitions were made and my system rebooted to this error:
    A read disk error occurred, Press Ctl Alt Del to restart.
    All because i didnt assign the partition a letter. I've used a boot disk and gone into FDISK and the 2 partitions and my data are all there. But i need to assign it a letter. If u know how to correct this please let me know, THANX FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

11. bobol

bobol

Try this link...and the excellent info on partitions in the links there.Must be some kind of help there. It's a thorough overview on the topic.
    http://www.ranish.com/part/

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

In order for your XP disk to load, you need to have booting from CD set as the first option in your BIOS setup. Do you know how to enter the BIOS? If not, you can also use the 6-floppy setup disks to start the CD, or this great multi-function magic floppy. Just boot from it and when the menu appears, use your mouse to navigate to the XP setup. Then choose manual or automatic setup and off you go.

Magic boot disk:[​IMG]

Floppy set creator:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994&Product=winxp

Try running testdisk from this boot floppy. It may be able to do repairs.

http://www.drd.dyndns.org//softlib/bootdisks/wpartnfix.exe

An alternative would be to boot from the XP CD and do a repair installation. Right after the license agreement, it will tell you if it finds another installation of XP. If not, stop there and cancel.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:
    Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
    When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
    When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
    At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.

For a list of commands that are available in Recovery Console, type recovery console commands or help at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

For information about a specific command, type help commandname at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
    To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

13. downgrade

downgrade Thread Starter

My windows xp cd doesnt boot. Maybe it's the cd? I've set my cdrom as first in the boot order and nothing. It goes through the boot order and it doesnt recognize the xp cd as a boot so it goes on to the hard disk and get the same error. My cd rom is working fine though, running knoppix on it now.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Click the lamp and boot your machine with the floppy it creates. It will start XP setup for you.

I don't know why your CD won't boot. Is it a copy? Some machines (Gateways, some) have a finicky attitude toward following the BIOS boot order. May be nothing wrong with your CD or you :D.

15. downgrade

downgrade Thread Starter

Ok, well i'll go to my friends house tommorrow and get that on a floppy and attempt to boot the XP setup. Running linux right now and it won't open windows files. I dont know why it isnt booting. Yes i know how to and have accessed my bios several times and the boot order is set correctly. I've partitioned drives and installed OS's several times and never had a problem before. One little slip up and it's the hugest issue to fix. Thanx again for all your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/253691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice