1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

drive letter assignment

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by export5, Sep 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. export5

export5 Thread Starter

The original drive in my PC has 3 partitions, C: , D: , and E:. I have just added a second drive to my PC with only 1 partition. The problem is that my computer has assigned drive letter "D:" to the second drive and has reassigned my original drive partitions to C: , E: , and F:. This problem has messed up some shortcuts to say the least. How can I get my computer to assign drive letter "F:" to my second drive. I am not able to change fixed drive letter assignments in the device manager.

System specs:
    win98se
    AMD Athlon
    Soyo SY-K7V Dragon motherboard
    Original drive: Western Digital WD307AA
    2nd drive: Seagate ST340810A
    Both drives are on IDE1
    IDE's: IDE1, IDE2, IDE3, IDE4

Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. frenat

frenat

Normally that is how windows treats a second hard drive but I was able to get mine to do what export5 wants to do. You'll have to repartition and reformat the second hard drive so move any important data. Repartition the second hard drive with fdisk and when it asks you if you want the primary partition to be active, say no. The only active partition you need is your boot partion on you primary hard drive. When I did this with mine, it put the second hard drive at the end of the letters.

4. Paul D

Paul D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/53956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice