1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive letter Assignment

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by musicmad, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. musicmad

musicmad Thread Starter

I use an external USB HD which contains my Backing Tracks recorded through Cubase.

I transfer as MP3 files to Karaoke Creator software and add the lyrics. the resultant ,BIN file I use as an on stage lyrics monitor because I have a terrible memory.

I have a problem with my on stage portable and need to use the external drive on another computer.

The drive has an operating system assigned drive letter G. and all the files are locked to this Path

The computer I want to use does not have drive letter G available because it was once assigned to a second CD/DVD drive.

How can I unlock this assignment. do I have to refit the CD/DVD drive and re-assign it to another letter

2. Sponsor

3. TheFlash24

TheFlash24

You can go to disk Managment and reassign the drive letter there. Its in control panel - admin tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. The drives will show up and then you can pick the drive you want and reassign the drive letter. You will get a message saying that it may cause problems if you do this, but it wont as long as you assign it to a letter that is free.

4. musicmad

musicmad Thread Starter

Thanks The flash 24.

Yes I tried that the problem is on the original computer its drive G and I have to assign it as drive G on the new computer to access the files.

G is not available on the new computer as it was once assigned to a CD/DVD drive.

The question is if I refit the CD/DVD drive and re-assign the drive letter will this free up G for the external drive

5. TheFlash24

TheFlash24

Its possible that it will free up the G: if you reassign the cd-rom. Are you able to see the drive that you want to label G: in the disk Management? If you are then reassign the cd-rom and then give the drive that you want labled G:, G:... Let me know how it turns out.

6. musicmad

musicmad Thread Starter

Yes the external drive shows up as F in My Computer and I can look at the files.

What they won't do is load into the karaoke creater because its looking for files on the path

G:\*.*

I'll reallocate the old cd and see what happens

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/617305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice