drive letter not reassignable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gswiss

I used letter K once and I am unable to obtain it anymore.

I use P-ATA drives exclusively with a P4P800 ASUS MB. I temporarily hooked up a S-ATA drive after having modified BIOS settings to accommodate both P- and S-ATA drives. My W2k-SP4 assigned K to the S-ATA drive. Everything worked fine.

When I removed that drive and restored original BIOS settings, there was no way I could recover K as an assignable letter. It would never show up in the choices I had.

Tweak program did not show any hidden drives from A to Z.

Is there any way to force K back?

Is the K drive showing in the disk manager at all? Also are you on a network? Have you trie a net use in the command prompt to make sure the K drive wasn't mapped for any reason?

Gswiss

No, K does not appear under Windows Explorer, Disk Manager and Map Network Drive. It only appears under Tweak UI. Net Use yields an empty list.
I am working on my own home pc.

Btw, I noticed a small red cross under the K drive in the Tweak UI list of drives. Does that show an unavailability of some kind?

Gswiss

The letter K reappeared all of a sudden without my doing anything special.

Can anybody explain how to get rid of the red x's I mentioned earlier? I have them under letters U, V and W which I do not use for the time being. I assigned X, Y and Z to my DVD burners.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online