1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive letters

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 82ABN, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 82ABN

82ABN Thread Starter

A while back I reloaded WIN98 and for some reason my floppy (LS-120) drive was renamed from A:\ to B:\. This isn't much of a problem except when I think about having to reboot from the A drive in the future. Is there a way to change my floppy designation back to A? A:\ still shows up in Windows explorer, but it just gives a message that the drive is not ready when I click on it. Thanks.

Rick

2. Dan O

Dan O

What type of LS-120 drive is it? Is it an IDE drive?

Have you checked you BIOS Setup options?

Try placing a Windows Startup diskette in the LS-120 and reboot. Let us know what happens.

3. 82ABN

82ABN Thread Starter

OK... Some of that's a little over my head. I'm not sure if the LS-120 is IDE. On the purchase order, it's identified as "LS-120 ATAPI Floppy Drive". I'm not sure if ATAPI has anything to do with IDE or not. It is internal and replaced the standard floppy. I had it added as an option when I bought my computer. I'm not sure what to check for in the BIOS. When I reboot with a startup disk, the system doesn't recognize it. It's as if there were no disk inserted. The drive works perfectly, it's just a matter of the drive letter being wrong, which affects the bootup.

4. Dan O

Dan O

I am sorry that I when a little over your head. ATAPI is an I/O protocol used by IDE devices, so you have an IDE drive. BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System, which is the hardware interface used by PCs so devices can talk to one another. It is often referred to as Setup. On many PCs you will see a message to Depress the DEL key when boot to access Setup. You need to check your PC manual that came with your unit and see how to access BIOS/Setup. Here a link to Imation who created the LS-120 with insturctions what you should try next:
    http://imation.com/en_US/main.jhtml?Id=09_01_04&Article=9_1_sdide_bootable.xml

Good luck, and let us know if it works or you need additional assistance.

5. 82ABN

82ABN Thread Starter

I went to the BIOS and the boot sequence is CD ROM, then Floppy. The LS-120 is not shown. The website you gave me says that if it's not shown the BIOS doesn't support it as being bootable. The funny thing is, as I mentioned before, the LS-120 was installed by Gateway and it was bootable.

6. Dan O

Dan O

A BIOS update may fix it or a call to Gateway is in order.

Good luck.

7. 82ABN

82ABN Thread Starter

How do you go about performing a BIOS update?

8. Dan O

Dan O

You go to the PC or motherboard web site and download it. They also provide instructions how to install it. Often it just a special boot diskette you create. Once created you insert it into the PC and power it on and it does the work.

9. 82ABN

82ABN Thread Starter

Thanks Dan O. Is there any danger or drawback to doing this?

10. Dan O

Dan O

It's pretty safe, but if the power when off during the upgrade your PC would be toast, very unlikely.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice