1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive Names

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kula, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

I have two external drives connected to my pc. One for media (mp3's, avi, mpegs, etc), and the other for documents. If I'm downloading say an mp3, it is directed to the correct drive. To save energy (and because the drives get warm if left on), my wife bought one of those extension cables with numerous sockets, which can each be individually switched off. This is causing me problems with the drive letters. If I don't switch them on in the right order, or I have a usb stick plugged in, they get assigned a different letter. Is there a way of assigning a permenant letter, even when they're switched off?

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Thread reopened per request.

4. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

Thanks Speed_hog. Just got round to doing it, and it works. Unfortunately, as two files were created under a different drive letter, seem to have disappeared. They were sent to the drive when it was G:, it was then turned off,and another one was turned on first, which then became G. So I think I've lost the files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice