Drive no longer exists?????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cerberusdog

Have a custom tower and don't know the make/model of the drive, but it was working perfectly until recently. Tower has a DVD-ROM drive and a CD+/-R/RW burner drive. Now, it is almost as though the CD drive is not there; the Drive is gone from MY Computer, and it will not even open, like the power is shut off to it. The DVD drive is usually OK, but sometimes it vanishes for awhile and then reappears; the only difference being that it will always open/close, even when the icon is missing. I tried uninstalling some burn programs, but to absolutely no avail. Ideas???? :eek:

Reboot the computer and tap the Delete or function2 keys, or whatever the first black and white screen tells you to use to go to Setup. In there - the BIOS menus, do both the CD drives show up? If they do, hit Escape, function 10 and Yes and let Windows boot up. Check in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and see if the CD ROMS have a yellow question mark against either of them.

Pick the problem device, right click and Remove. Reboot and allow WIndows to redetect the device.

Cerberusdog

I couldn't read BIOS for the drives info- it seems to know there is a CD Drive on board but I cannot be sure. When I looked under System/Driver Info, The only Drives there are the C Drive and a USB Zip I have. So I cannot delete the drivers for the CD or DVD and start over since they aren't there to begin with. And the New Hardware wizard can't see them either, so it looks like I am screwed and will have to take this thing into a techie to see what they think. Oh well..... :( :mad:

Forget the techie - he's probably closed for the holidays. Take out the power cable and unscrew the left hand side as you fac the tower case. Some cases have a wrap around box - you may need to take all the screws out at the back and lift the whole thing off. Check that the power cable to the CD ROMs are connected properly, and that the ribbon cables are connected to the devices and to the motherboard. Try to keep a hand on an unpainted part of the metal casing all the time to ground any static electricity you produce.

Keeping your hands out of the case, put the power cable back in and fire up. Does the BIOS see the drive now?

dog,

When the drive's door won't open by pushing the button, it is usually indicative of either no power to the drive, or a physical/electrical fault with the drive itself.

Afterall, you can unplug the data ribbon cable and the drawer will still open if there is power to the drive.

Cerberusdog

Bob-

I had pretty much figured that by now...since the mechanical portion of the drive was not responding at all, it has to be some kind of physical issue. It is just odd that the drivers and drive destination all seem to have vanished at the same time that the power stopped flowing to the unit. I hope there is a simple answer somewhere... :confused:

My CD-rom drive didn't appear on My Computer. I followed Saga Lout's first reply and it worked. After trying numerous methods to try and fix this problem, this one worked. Thanks!

lixiao said:
My CD-rom drive didn't appear on My Computer. I followed Saga Lout's first reply and it worked. After trying numerous methods to try and fix this problem, this one worked. Thanks!
Good - there's nothing quite like a happy customer to bring a cheer to an old Scrooge on Christmas morning. Enjoy your holiday - if you're having one. :D

I'm ssssoooooo confused...who is lixiao, and how did they come into the mix???

winbob said:
I'm ssssoooooo confused...who is lixiao, and how did they come into the mix???
You're not confused Winbob - you're tired. You were in the forum when I came in at 09:00 GMT - I reckon that to be three or maybe even two in the morning where you are - and I've seen postings of yours all day. Do you never sleep? :D

Anyway, thanks for all the good advice I've picked up from you all year. You deserve a day off.

Saga Lout,

:eek: Tired, who's tired :eek: Why when I was your age....oh never mind!

Actually, back when I was working in the industry, I was the DBA and a resource for Q&A database for Internal/Customers. Did this for years along with a huge amount of other fun stuff. Decide to retire rather than relo the family to Endicott NY !!! (n)

Yeah, the other night I was sitting propped up in bed (the spousal unit snoring lovingly next to me!) and I looked over at the clock and it was 3:30am. Yikes! I was looking for old items that had no replies, and there were a bunch...and got 'swept away' as they say. :rolleyes:

This is addictive you know! :eek:

Anyway, the only time I feel testy with the askers is when the answers are so easily had via Google. We implemented a setup at IBM where the asker had to search our Archive DB before entering a Q. The program then captured the KW's that were used and presented them to the Staff. Amazing how many people would put in 'Junk" kw's rather than try to find an answer on their own.

I got used to answering those with the exact KW's to find their answer rather than Cut/Paste the text into the response. Many users were P.O.'ed that they then had to look up their own answer...too much work! :rolleyes:

But in that environment the folks on the other end were SUPPOSED to have a certain level of knowledge to be employed....of course that is not the case with our audience here...you just need to be able to afford a PC to get in the pool...and sink or swim.

Anyway...it's holiday time no set bedtime!!! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online