Drive not detected..any hope?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Momooshki

Hello. Last night our power clicked off for one second. No storm or rain. Nobody was on desktop but it was on. When I turned it back on it said disk boot failure. Please insert disk.
It is an Hp touchsmart 320 running Windows 10. These are the screens I get depending what I push on start up. There's also HP setup utility.

Attachments

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
Do you have a Windows 10 disk or USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it?

Momooshki

Pc was not new when bought. I have no disks. Windows 10 installed when it came out

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
You will need to access another PC and make a Windows 10 USB flash drive by following the steps in this video.( must be at least 8 gigabytes) :

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
That way you can boot up to the USB Windows 10 copy and do the commands in command prompt that I will provide you to fix the boot disk failure problem.

plodr

Liz
Consider buying an UPS (uninterruptible power supply). They are so useful. On a fine clear day last week, with no warning, our power went out for no more than 5 minutes. Since I have my modem, router, computer, display and printer connected to an UPS, nothing turned off.

The current one I'm using (my 3rd)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842301669

My 2nd one is being used in the basement. I wanted more plugs to keep more devices running.

Momooshki

That way you can boot up to the USB Windows 10 copy and do the commands in command prompt that I will provide you to fix the boot disk failure problem.
Ok I am on advanced options page which has restore..go back to previous..startup repair and command prompt

Momooshki

Consider buying an UPS (uninterruptible power supply). They are so useful. On a fine clear day last week, with no warning, our power went out for no more than 5 minutes. Since I have my modem, router, computer, display and printer connected to an UPS, nothing turned off.

The current one I'm using (my 3rd)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842301669

My 2nd one is being used in the basement. I wanted more plugs to keep more devices running.

Thanks. might come in handy in the future...if I ever have a pc to protect lol

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
Ok. Boot to the Windows USB flash drive and enter command prompt, type : C: (enter) then "dir" (look for Windows in the directory if it's there then the command will be for C: drive) next type D: (enter) then "dir" look for Windows (normally at boot up, D: is your Windows drive) The chkdsk command should be followed by your Windows drive (normally D at bootup, it changes to C: when Windows boots up) Enter the command : chkdsk C: /f (if C: is the drive with Windows on it)
enter chkdsk D: /f (if Windows is on D: drive)((IT NORMALLY IS ON D DRIVE AT BOOTUP IN MOST SYSTEMS))

Last edited:

Momooshki

okay. when going to command prompt, first thing it says is non enough memory resources are available to process this command. when punching in c: then dir
there is a long list. but nothing says WINDOWS. there is an alphabetical list of stuff

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
NOW TRY d: (ENTER) THEN "DIR" SEE IF WINDOWS IS IN d: IT SHOULD BE IN d:

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
You will have to go through the alphabet typing a: b:, c:, d:, e:, f:, g: etc...until you find the drive with Windows on it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online