1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive not detected..any hope?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Momooshki, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Momooshki

Momooshki Thread Starter

Hello. Last night our power clicked off for one second. No storm or rain. Nobody was on desktop but it was on. When I turned it back on it said disk boot failure. Please insert disk.
    It is an Hp touchsmart 320 running Windows 10. These are the screens I get depending what I push on start up. There's also HP setup utility.

Attached Files:

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Do you have a Windows 10 disk or USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it?

3. Momooshki

Momooshki Thread Starter

Pc was not new when bought. I have no disks. Windows 10 installed when it came out

4. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    You will need to access another PC and make a Windows 10 USB flash drive by following the steps in this video.( must be at least 8 gigabytes) :

5. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    That way you can boot up to the USB Windows 10 copy and do the commands in command prompt that I will provide you to fix the boot disk failure problem.

6. Momooshki

Momooshki Thread Starter

Ok got to this point in installation and don't know what to doI

Attached Files:

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Consider buying an UPS (uninterruptible power supply). They are so useful. On a fine clear day last week, with no warning, our power went out for no more than 5 minutes. Since I have my modem, router, computer, display and printer connected to an UPS, nothing turned off.

The current one I'm using (my 3rd)
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842301669

My 2nd one is being used in the basement. I wanted more plugs to keep more devices running.

dino7 likes this.
  8. Momooshki

Momooshki Thread Starter

Ok I am on advanced options page which has restore..go back to previous..startup repair and command prompt

9. Momooshki

Momooshki Thread Starter

Thanks. might come in handy in the future...if I ever have a pc to protect lol

10. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Ok. Boot to the Windows USB flash drive and enter command prompt, type : C: (enter) then "dir" (look for Windows in the directory if it's there then the command will be for C: drive) next type D: (enter) then "dir" look for Windows (normally at boot up, D: is your Windows drive) The chkdsk command should be followed by your Windows drive (normally D at bootup, it changes to C: when Windows boots up) Enter the command : chkdsk C: /f (if C: is the drive with Windows on it)
    enter chkdsk D: /f (if Windows is on D: drive)((IT NORMALLY IS ON D DRIVE AT BOOTUP IN MOST SYSTEMS))

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  11. Momooshki

Momooshki Thread Starter

okay. when going to command prompt, first thing it says is non enough memory resources are available to process this command. when punching in c: then dir
    there is a long list. but nothing says WINDOWS. there is an alphabetical list of stuff

12. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    NOW TRY d: (ENTER) THEN "DIR" SEE IF WINDOWS IS IN d: IT SHOULD BE IN d:

13. Momooshki

Momooshki Thread Starter

This is what I get

Attached Files:

14. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Is that D: ?

15. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    You will have to go through the alphabet typing a: b:, c:, d:, e:, f:, g: etc...until you find the drive with Windows on it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice