Drive Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beckleyvets

I use W98 on a computer with C & D drives plus a zip drive to copy daily activities.

I have a computer that uses a DOS program for our business. Recently we had a problem and I had the extra D Drive put in just as a safety net. For several months now we have been using the D drive in our daily work and then at night I copy to C and the Zip Drive.

I started to copy from D to C the other evening and the screen went blank while copying. I rebooted and attempted to defrag and scan C. I got a message that said physical damage had occured dto Drive C.

I took the computer to a repair shop and was told that C was to damaged to copy to a new drive. They also wanted to know if I had the original installation for W98, which I did not have.

What can I to to ensure I do not lose all the information I have on the drives. C&D? If I installed new windows, could I then just copy D to the new C Drive.

The computer shop tried to put my drive in a loaner computer to get me through the weekend, but apparently there is a security problem as he got a message that said the loaner computer was not the computer on which the DOS program was installed. Pretty smart DOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As I have understood, it's the D drive we need to rescue, more imprtantly than C.

You could get your hard drive back into your computer, and use a startup disk that you could do on any system, not necessarily DOS, and not necessarily your same version.

If you're lucky enough to get the DOS prompt, you could save the data on the D drive on floppies... or if there's too much data, try hooking a CD-R, or use a DOS program for your ZIP drive if you have one...

As for C, the damage may have been caused by a bad sector(s) (how long have you been using your hard drive?).. The're no real solution to that as far as I know, other than getting a new one :)

Remeber, saving half you data is better than losing all your data, so you should be happy if you're able to save the D drive. Afterwards, you may want to format your C drive and install a new operating system...

Sorry to take so much of your time.

beckleyvets

thanks for the reply Moeman:

It is the C Drive that I am concerned about. The D Drive is working great.

Any Comments

Thanks,
beckleyvets

If the drive is damaged that badly you are going to have a real problem getting information from it. I have heard of this though.
Put the drive in a plastic bag, seal it tightly to prevent condensation. Put it in the freezer overnight. Take it out and be sure it is absolutely dry. Put it back and try to retrieve the information. You have to do this fast.

Well did you try to put a startup disk, and access drive C ? you might get some info out of it this way.

I once had an old HDD that did pretty much like yours, and the problem was that an IC on its board was toasted for no reason. We might suggest this if you fail to access the HDD at all, even using a startup disk.

I you could get onto it, you could install Win95 as a start instead of DOS (Win95 will work on virtually ony configuration, it'll help you if you want to install recovery programs).... But tell me first if you can get the damn thing into bussiness... :)

you might try the voodoo Mosaic1 syggested if you like, you won't loose anything but be careful to leave it overnight, as HDD have a temperature range to work in...:confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online