1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frenat, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frenat

frenat Thread Starter

I will soon be migrating my setup to a new case and I have two questions.

1. should I use cable select or just jumper the drives as Master and Slave. I have used both ways in the past and am currently using cable select but I'm wondering if there is any performance difference between the two methods.

2. I have two hard drives (80 GB and 20 GB, the OS is on the 80 GB), a cd burner, and a DVD Rom. For the best performance, how should these be setup as far as master, slave, primary, and secondary? Of course the 80 GB will be the Primary Master but what about the others? If it helps I could also not have the 80 GB as the primary master as my boot manager would tell the comp where to boot from anyway. So how should I set everything up for the best performance?

2. dickster

dickster

Since your OS is on the 80gb drive (I would have it on the 20) set the 80 as master>primary and the 20 as slave on the same IDE channel. Set the cd burner as master on the secondary with the DVD as slave.

As for the drives I don't think there is any preformance difference. I usually use master>slave jumper settings.

3. frenat

frenat Thread Starter

There is currently nothing on the 20 so the OS could be easily moved. the OS does have its own 20 GB partition though. The 80 GB drive has an 8 MB cache while the 20 is an older drive with a 2 MB cache. That may affect the speed somewhat. Should i still move the OS?

The setup you described is the way I was leaning. I didn't think there was any performance difference between jumpering and cable select but I wanted to check while I have the chance to rearrange everything.

4. dickster

dickster

I would keep the OS on the 80 since it has the 8mb cache. But you don't mention the rpm of the drives. Hope you're noy mixing a 7200 and 5400 rpm drives. Might see a slowdown doing that.

5. frenat

frenat Thread Starter

They are both Western Digital 7200 RPM drives. The 80 is newer with a bigger cache. I haven't ventured into SATA yet but that will probably be my next purchase down the road.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice