1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Drive Sharing with Windows 10 and XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KazukiMatsuoka1998, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KazukiMatsuoka1998

KazukiMatsuoka1998 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kazuki
    Hello all,

I have a good old DELL OTIPLEX GX260 with Windows NT and XP (two OS systems on a partitioned hard drive) and a Windows 10 PC which has three hard drives, 1, a 1TB main, 2, a 1TB backup and a 80GIG on the side.

The old Windows Xp has 80GIG on it's drive and doesn't have enough space so I thought to use the Windows 10's third hard drive since I don't need too much space, I would share the drive with Windows XP and I can install programs in the shared drive. I've done it before and it has run successfully without any issues. But now my Windows 10 has updated and it has all gone, I've forgotten how to do it.

How can I do this? I know XP has home group and Windows 10 doesn't, I've started up sharing but it doesn't work.

Thanks much!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

What has all gone - the 80 gig HD contents? Or you cannot access the 80 gig HD from XP ?

3. KazukiMatsuoka1998

KazukiMatsuoka1998 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kazuki
    The previous setup I made to share the drive with the XP is gone. Sorry I didn't clarify that. - That's why I am trying to figure out how to set it up again.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

The Win 10 update you did, was it an version upgrade? Type "winver" at the Start menu and see what version you have now?

The most probable reason is because since the last version of Win 10 v1803, the SMB 1 protocol is now disabled by default. And XP uses that version to do folder sharing and access folder shares. Go to Control Panel > Program and Features > Turn Windows Features On & Off. Find SMB 1.0 ... and checkmark everything under it. Then you can set up a shared folder.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice